Public meetings

frankwright

I encourage everyone to go that can get an appointment to go. I have been to several and spoke at a few.
The things I have learned is it is already decided! They will politely listen and there is a possibility that something that is repeatedly asked for may be changed in the future but not this time.
Politicians and insurance companies are the driving force behind DNR changes in my opinion!

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I encourage everyone to go that can get an appointment to go. I have been to several and spoke at a few.
The things I have learned is it is already decided! They will politely listen and there is a possibility that something that is repeatedly asked for may be changed in the future but not this time.
Politicians and insurance companies are the driving force behind DNR changes in my opinion!

That may be your opinion, but that's not reality. There have been tons of changes that happened as a result of public input at meetings and comment periods. Here are a few:

-Statewide deer season, North zone used to end on January 1st
-Game Check harvest reporting
-More coyote any hog opportunity on WMAs, the May 16-31 season added to nearly all WMAs
-More WMA gates open during small game season
-Reduction in doe harvest (reduced either-sex days)
-Antler restrictions
-Dog-deer hunts on WMAs
-Dog-bear hunts on WMAs
-Baiting deer(based on pressure you all put on your elected politicians)

There are plenty more examples, but these are the ones that came to mind. I can promise you that we strive to accommodate public desires where biologically appropriate.

splatek

UAEC
That may be your opinion, but that's not reality. There have been tons of changes that happened as a result of public input at meetings and comment periods. Here are a few:

-Statewide deer season, North zone used to end on January 1st
-Game Check harvest reporting
-More coyote any hog opportunity on WMAs, the May 16-31 season added to nearly all WMAs
-More WMA gates open during small game season
-Reduction in doe harvest (reduced either-sex days)
-Antler restrictions
-Dog-deer hunts on WMAs
-Dog-bear hunts on WMAs
-Baiting deer(based on pressure you all put on your elected politicians)

There are plenty more examples, but these are the ones that came to mind. I can promise you that we strive to accommodate public desires where biologically appropriate.

That’s good to know, because that’s about the seventh time I had heard/read that the men’s were simply pomp and circumstance for a set of regulations that had already been set in stone.
Not sure I’ll be able to attend.
Do you have any insight on whether in person holds more weight than letter or email?

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
That’s good to know, because that’s about the seventh time I had heard/read that the men’s were simply pomp and circumstance for a set of regulations that had already been set in stone.
Not sure I’ll be able to attend.
Do you have any insight on whether in person holds more weight than letter or email?

Makes no difference whether you come in person or submit an email, all that input gets combined for review. We are doing online versions of the meetings this year as well.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Another reason to participate is that we are evaluating several alternatives for turkey hunting regulations and public input will likely decide which we choose. We've done this numerous times in the past (dove dates, when deer season should end), so no one can say that your input doesn't matter.

35 Whelen

Not able to go to any of the scheduled meetings, however, sent comments via email. We'll see what happens.

270buck

I am only one registered for Eastman meeting. I mainly sm going to get contact info from farmers. Last meeting I went to they were all complaining about doe population. I hunt for meat so I would help them.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Charlie
This is probably out of left field but IMO it’s well past time we allow hunters to use recorded calls to hunt fox/bobcat and possibly raccoon (though I’m aware that could be a sticking point with Coon hunters)
I’ll try and remember to send an official email about it

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Charlie
This is probably out of left field but IMO it’s well past time we allow hunters to use recorded calls to hunt fox/bobcat and possibly raccoon (though I’m aware that could be a sticking point with Coon hunters)
I’ll try and remember to send an official email about it

I'm sure you know this, but that would require a law change. 27-3-12. It's not that it couldn't be done, but the bar is much higher to pursue a law change and I don't hear very many people wanting to change it.

lampern

Why would you not allow bobcats to be taken with electronic calls?

There's no shortage of them throughout the southeast.

Control predator numbers is what people say will help deer and turkey?

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist

It's a blanket prohibition on using electronic calls for all game animals, bobcats aren't singled out.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I'm sure you know this, but that would require a law change. 27-3-12. It's not that it couldn't be done, but the bar is much higher to pursue a law change and I don't hear very many people wanting to change it.
10-4. Just planting the seed for future reference. If someone is caught and charged the way it’s written now it’s a significant charge

Throwback

Chief Big Taw

Cause pawpaw said it was bad in the 60’s and 70’s and pawpaw ain’t never told a lie