Pulling my tractor

buckmanmike

I need to bring my tractor from the farm to home. It's a JD5065E. Will have a tiller and blade on trailer also. Estimated weight of tractor and implements of 5k pounds.
My truck is a 2019 F150 5.0 motor and 10 sp tranny. I've read so much about these trannys are weak. I would keep the tranny in tow mode. Is it worth the $$ to rent a truck.
I will also need to pull tractor back to the farm.
Advise appreciated.

specialk

How far?....i think you'd be fine....i always pull mine on weekends early morning and have some one follow me...

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Add up the trailer weight and equipment weight. Also anything you will have in the truck bed.
Look up towing capacity of the vehicle.
There’s your answer.

killerv

If you don't do it a lot you should be fine. I'm pulling something similar with a 2020 5.3 with full tow package installed. But I average maybe once a month and maybe 120 miles total to and from.

tr21

Do you have trailer brakes?
thats the biggest question. had a 16ft bass boat push a suburban on dry pavement. ever since I wont pull anything without atleast surge brakes or elect. brakes on heavier loads

transfixer

I need to bring my tractor from the farm to home. It's a JD5065E. Will have a tiller and blade on trailer also. Estimated weight of tractor and implements of 5k pounds.
My truck is a 2019 F150 5.0 motor and 10 sp tranny. I've read so much about these trannys are weak. I would keep the tranny in tow mode. Is it worth the $$ to rent a truck.
I will also need to pull tractor back to the farm.
Advise appreciated.

If you're only towing it occassionally you'll be fine, its not that the transmissions themselves are weak, the torque converter clutch is, when it fails it will fill the transmission with fine metal causing it to fail, the internal gears and clutch packs are up to the task of towing something like that on an occassional basis,

You would not want to tow that kind of weight on a regular basis though,

One thing I wish I could get across to ALL truck owners, especially Ford truck owners, but it applies to GM and Ram also, the factory advertising towing capacities are GREATLY OVER EXAGGERATED ! DO NOT BELIEVE THEM !

Can it tow what they say ? sure ! a few times, is it going to cause premature wear in your transmission ? ABSOLUTELY! if you tow anywhere close to the advertised towing capacity on these trucks on a regular basis you WILL have transmission failure at some point !

Towing capacities are a huge selling point for trucks, if they were honest they would tell you that " yes it will pull this kind of weight ,,,, just do not do it but very occassionally, and not for very long distances, or under extreme circumstances

If you're only towing it occassionally you'll be fine, its not that the transmissions themselves are weak, the torque converter clutch is, when it fails it will fill the transmission with fine metal causing it to fail, the internal gears and clutch packs are up to the task of towing something like that on an occassional basis,

You would not want to tow that kind of weight on a regular basis though,

One thing I wish I could get across to ALL truck owners, especially Ford truck owners, but it applies to GM and Ram also, the factory advertising towing capacities are GREATLY OVER EXAGGERATED ! DO NOT BELIEVE THEM !

Can it tow what they say ? sure ! a few times, is it going to cause premature wear in your transmission ? ABSOLUTELY! if you tow anywhere close to the advertised towing capacity on these trucks on a regular basis you WILL have transmission failure at some point !

Towing capacities are a huge selling point for trucks, if they were honest they would tell you that " yes it will pull this kind of weight ,,,, just do not do it but very occassionally, and not for very long distances, or under extreme circumstances
I agree ! If a person is going to tow regularly of any kind of weight it’s best to get a 2500 or above that is designed to do that kind of work

transfixer

My biggest gripe with the big 3 manufacturers is their exaggerated claims of towing capacity on their trucks, and they do it on the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks also, just not as bad as they do on the 1/2 tons, although Ram is guilty of severely over-rating their bigger trucks capacity

Ford is the worst on the F150's , especially the ones with the smaller turbo engines

earlthegoat2

To add to all this, there gets to a point where it really doesn’t matter how bomb proof your 1/2 ton drivetrain is.

Weight and wheelbase of the tow vehicle are also important for heavy hauling and 3/4 ton and up trucks weigh a lot more than a 1/2 tons. Especially the ones designed for scorch the earth maximum fuel economy with aluminum bodies.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
That's gonna be a load on a 1/2 ton. Total gonna be up around 7,500-8,000 I think. (Tractor+implements+trailer) Id be more concerned with getting that load balanced good than the actual weight....not totally unloading the steering end of the truck or conversely light loading the tongue. A weight distribution hitch would be an asset for that load. Sure it'll pull it, BOTH trailer axles have brakes?

2dye4

I’d rent a 3/4 ton truck. Not worth tear and wear on you personal vehicle. I got the same tractor and would even think of pulling it with my 1/2 ton Chevy.

buckmanmike

I want to mention that my truck has the trailer towing option with Trans cooler and 3.73 gearing. I pulled the tractor when I bought for 60 miles with a similar 2003 F150. Had no problems driving conservatively.

hopper

I agree. Buddy wanted to borrow tractor and said i wasnt bringing it to him,he came and grabbed it with that new v6, around 7500lbs. His truck, his transmission
Don't get me wrong that Tundra is one of the best in its class in my opinion. I've been known to over pull in my old F250 and F150 know and again back in the day (y)