Raffle tickets for gun for kid's football team fundraiser..... Your thoughts

Shadow11

This was a regular thing as a kid in nega. Even our elementary schools would raffle off rifles during the fall festivals back then. No big deal. They raised a lot of money and it was fun.

Just saw on fox 5 ATL where a Henry county football coach was taking heat for raffling off the choice of an a.r. rifle, or a 9mm for his 8yr old football team as a fundraiser. Some black lady got mad about it, so it made the news.

Shadow11

Just for delicacy I would have suggested a deer rifle or a shotgun.
That's usually what they did when i was in elementary school. It was usually a couple of deer rifles and 2 or 3 shotguns. They were the first things you would see when you walked in the front door during the night of the fall festival.... 30 yrs later lol. Wow

oldfella1962

One of my Air Force buds said when he was stationed at Mountain Home AFB in Idaho, they had a raffle once, and the prize was a 30-06 rifle and a kids red wagon full of assorted types of booze. :LOL: This was in the late 1970's - I can't imagine that happening in 2023.

leroy

Our HS baseball team does a 10 day gun raffle twice a year, tickets go like hotcakes. They use the evening cash 3 number each day as winner. Actually won one couple years ago, if you have winning ticket you go to local gun store fill out paperwork/background check and get your gun.

SarahFair

My son's HS baseball team did gun raffles for fundraisers (assuming they still do).
It's very profitable.

Reactions: Dub

ucfireman

Raffle what they want, let people cry. Folks will buy tickets if its something they want, not if they don't.

Along the same line as a black lady complaining, a white person had a manikin hanging for Halloween, Black man complained so they took it down.
You do know only blacks got hung, no criminals, whites or anyone else, just blacks. Or so they want you to think.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Raffle what they want, let people cry. Folks will buy tickets if its something they want, not if they don't.

Along the same line as a black lady complaining, a white person had a manikin hanging for Halloween, Black man complained so they took it down.
You do know only blacks got hung, no criminals, whites or anyone else, just blacks. Or so they want you to think.
And there were no black people that owned slaves either. Nope.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Raffle off a Barbie action figure set also for those who are triggered .

Dub

I see no problem with it.

Knowing how ignorant people are over gun laws (believe the winner just gets the gun without having to go through the FFL process) I'd likely opted to have something else as the prize, simply to avoid the noise.

That being said......if the loudmouths who hated on the coach would've thrown in a couple bucks each.....he'd not felt the need to do a raffle to start with.

And there were no black people that owned slaves either. Nope.

Our VP would agree with that, however, her great-grandparents know otherwise....