Recommended Compound Bow Brand

tommyming

Long time gun hunter and first time bow hunter.

Can you recommend a brand and model? Looking for middle tier and quality.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
For me, my general rule is that the more high strung and high performance a piece of equipment like that is, the more likely it is to fault at some point down the road...

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
No real good answer to this. You will not go wrong with any of the top or well known brands, but each one will feel different to you than to the next fella.

I am currently shooting Bowtech and love the feel and look of it, but have also had Hoyt and PSE without issues. Really loving the direct Bear Archery is taking right now too

Most of us will suggest you visit a recommended pro shop and get the feel for a few bows in your budget and let them help you get setup and shoot. If you dont start out correctly you will battle it all your life.

swampwise42

I don't think there's a bad bow out nowadays. Slight differences and feel of the bow is personal. Id suggest shoot as many as you can and you'll quickly get a feel for one over the rest. If that not an option there's so much to consider with resale value, speed, efficiency, let off, sound, etc. With a first bow I highly suggest adjustable draw length modules instead of having to purchase mods for each draw length. As you shoot more and get better form you'll be surprised how much you may have to change draw length.

Ray357

AWOL

I shot PSE and Martin forever, but I am now shooting bear. 20 years ago, I would have laughed if you had suggested I would even pick up a bear. No one can touch the Bear Inception at anywhere close to it's price point.
If I was still into flagships, I would not be shooting bear. I am not competing, and 5 fps to me ain't worth $700 more.

Ray357

AWOL
I don't think there's a bad bow out nowadays. Slight differences and feel of the bow is personal. Id suggest shoot as many as you can and you'll quickly get a feel for one over the rest. If that not an option there's so much to consider with resale value, speed, efficiency, let off, sound, etc. With a first bow I highly suggest adjustable draw length modules instead of having to purchase mods for each draw length. As you shoot more and get better form you'll be surprised how much you may have to change draw length.
My draw length has bee 32 " since I was 15 years old.

swampwise42

My draw length has bee 32 " since I was 15 years old.
Not saying actual draw length changes but can easily be too short or too long to start to begin with but as form gets better you find its wrong. I agree with Bear, very underrated bows that hold their own with any other bow.

Bowyer29

I'm going to buy myself a new Bear Paradox and call it good.
I don't need a $1,500 set up to kill deer.
No offense or nastiness intended, that's just my very humble opinion. And humble credit card.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Killed my first couple bucks with a recurve, Bear Kodiak Magnum at 55 pounds. One shot was at about fifty yards. The other was right underneath me. Also took a doe in Al with a stone point using a compound bow at 65 pounds. Was a martin dealer in the 1980's, I like their bows back then. Still have a Jenny's Woody at 55, and a Martin Warthog at 55-70. I didn't try to keep up with technology because what I have works. Lots of deer with the compounds, they are faster and shoot flatter. Try em out and get what fits you best.

ddd-shooter

I'm going to buy myself a new Bear Paradox and call it good.
I don't need a $1,500 set up to kill deer.
No offense or nastiness intended, that's just my very humble opinion. And humble credit card.
No offense or nastiness, but with a username that has "bowyer" in it, I figured you'd just make one... Lol

Tight Lines

It isn't about brand. It is about the shop and archer. Find a good shop, shoot as many as you can, and pick one that feels best. I'd say avoid the smaller players and big box junk. Can't go wrong with Mathews, Hoyt or PSE. Length and brace height are important, as is weight, fit, and speed. Too light is trouble...you don't hike 42 miles with your bow. A little weight is good for dampening. If I were buying a new one right now, it would be a Mathews. But that's just because I know and like them...find a good shop who will spend time with you and who can work on a bow...avoid avoid avoid the shops that do it on the side...Cabela's, Bass Pro, Dicks, etc.

Bowyer29

No offense or nastiness, but with a username that has "bowyer" in it, I figured you'd just make one... Lol
100% fair statement.
I have those too. To be honest, I have never shot them well enough to consider killing anything other than a squirrel or rabbit with them.
I love making them and shooting them, but the accuracy is just not there.

Ihunt

Find a bow you like and that’s matched to you. Even if you’re a monster, don’t think you need or can comfortably pull 70lbs. Develop correct form. Easier to start correctly than to try and erase bad habits. A 50-60lb bow is plenty.

Tadder

Mathews , Elite ,Bear and Hoyt. Elite may have the best price point package. All depends on what you like , then its up too you what you want too spend. Find a good shop that knows their bows and how too set them up.

bullgator

If you buy from an actual archery pro shop they will likely sell only decent brands and models. Big box stores will sell the low end bows that are less shooter friendly and a likely headache at some point.

TomC

Hunting with an Elite 32 for the last 5 years which has been a really good bow, target with a Hoyt Prevail but really considering selling the Elite and picking up a PSE to hunt with. Have had a bad attitude towards PSE from a terrible bow about 20 years ago but I hear the PSE Evolve cams are smooooooooth. Looking for something easier to pull as health issues are pushing me closer and closer to using a crossbow :(

Figure out your specs and buy used on archerytalk.com Not sure whether bows or boats depreciate faster but you can buy a high end used bow on archerytalk for a GREAT price!

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Brand of bow doesn’t matter. Go shoot as many different ones as you can and find one that’s comfy for you. They’ll all kill one dead if you shoot em in the lungs