Redneck Remedies and Quick Fixes

Al33

We all have seen the ladies on TV shows promoting their books about household quick fixes that will save you THOUSANDS of dollars or HOURS of time and effort for everyday household problems.

Look out folks 'cause I was a thinkin' 'bout this, :rolleyes: and realized we could use one for us outdoorsey types. :cool:

Now then, watcha got to share with your campfire brethren so we might all learn somethin' new?

Might even want to pose a problem to seek an answer to. ::huh:

A few xamples might be:
1) Removing tobacco stains from the sides of your truck.
2) How to get rid of the doe in heat smell from your wifes clothing. :speechles
3) A good method for finding and capturing red wigglers.

You get the picture, now pose a question or share you knowledge for some other common problem we might have.

Al

Timberman

Can't help you on 1 and 2, but I may can shed some light on #3. First, I believe that red wigglers are domesticated earthworms and not found in the wild. I could be wrong, but I've never seen them. But to get any other kind, get you a hickory ax handle and a leaf spring off an old truck axle. Find you a wormy lookin place and drive the ax handle in the ground a foot or two, the deeper the better. Take the spring and run it across the top of the handle. After some practice and trying different pressures and speeds, you'll find you can make the handle sing. Get on it and any worm within about a 10' circle(maybe bigger, maybe smaller, depends) will just HAVE to come out the ground. Works great for nightcrawlers and the bigger earthworms which I call garden hackles. :) They can't stand it!

My question is what phase of the moon is it preferable to cut firewood so that it will split and burn better?

Al33

Timberman,

I have tried the vibrating the stake in the ground trick before and didn't do much good. ::huh: I'll admit, I didn't try as you have suggested here but will give it a shot sometimes. If you say it works, that's good enough for me. :clap: And I agree with you about the red wigglers being domestic's.

Regarding your wood splitting question, I didn't know the moon phase made a difference at all. However, were I to venture a guess, I would suspect a New moon would work best because I associate a full moon with water. I would think a dryer log would split better. Truly, nothing but speculation on my part here. ::huh:

Al

stumpman

Banned
soapy water poured on a wormy lookin spot will make them come up and they are clean to when ya pick um up.and on the tobacco juice try club soda if in it aint set in it should work it might even work if its set in.

teethdoc

Beer can muffler

If you have a leak in your exaust system in your truck, a beer can (preferrably a tall boy) and some pipe clamps work great. I sold an old truck that had been repaired in this manner. While we wer test driving it, he got on it hard and blew out my can. We took it back to the house. Had a beer, fixed the exaust and he bought the truck. Here's the old girl.

You betcha that's a mullet. I'll tell the story later.

Attachments

• m%20mullet%20amp2[1].jpg
    m%20mullet%20amp2[1].jpg
    29 KB · Views: 860

Jeff Phillips

To remove Deer or Fox urine scent from your truck - Lay some dryer fabric softner sheets over the offending area and park the truck in the sun with the windows rolled up.

To remove road scum and dried bugs from your windshield - Pour a Coke on it and let it sit for a minute then turn on the wipers, hose as needed.

To remove Sharpie Marker from the paint of a large SUV (put there by some eco-wacko) - Spray it with White Rain hair spray and it'll wipe right off ;)

Just in case of an emergency - Never leave home without a roll of duct tape and some wire ties :D

Timberman

However, were I to venture a guess, I would suspect a New moon would work best because I associate a full moon with water.

Pretty good deductive reasoning there, and you are correct. :cool: I didn't believe it for a long time til I saw the difference on more than one occasion and became a believer.

Grunting worms requires a couple things to be successful. In Florida the commercial worm grunters I knew would flock to the fresh burnt pine areas for better grunting success. They also went right after a rain as worms are closer to the surface and moist soil carries the vibration better. They also got on it serious making the stob really whine. A successful grunter worked up a sweat. :bounce:

QuakerBoy

Jeff, I don't recall your hair being long enough to need any white rain :bounce:

Best way I've found to catch worms is to head out after dark to the local golf course after a good rain equipped with a large bucket and a flashlight witha peice of waxed paper over the lens. Crawl around on your hands an knees whining the light on the ground. THe diffused light doesn't scare the worms back into the holes as a direct beam would. Then ya just start pickin.

Al33

Any quick fixes or special techniques for these?

Keepin' then dang yeller jackets away while you're tryin' to skin and bnutcher your deer.

How to get your wife to say "OK' to another hunt/fish trip after you have been gone a week.

How to protect your assets (bank accout, etc.) when she says "NO" but you go anyway.

Hole in bottom of boat caused by a shotgun blast. Will need remedies for both fiberglass and aluminumnumnumnuminum.

How to keep your coon dog from treein' a 'possum.

How many uses for tobacco juice can you come up with?

Fixin' a leaky pop-up camper while it's pouring cats and dogs.

C'mon folks, help me out here. This thread is gettin' a little TOO serious. :bounce: I'm kind of countin' on the witty talent we have here. :p

Al

Handgunner

Al33 said:
Keepin' then dang yeller jackets away while you're tryin' to skin and bnutcher your deer.

How to get your wife to say "OK' to another hunt/fish trip after you have been gone a week.

How to protect your assets (bank accout, etc.) when she says "NO" but you go anyway.

Hole in bottom of boat caused by a shotgun blast. Will need remedies for both fiberglass and aluminumnumnumnuminum.

How to keep your coon dog from treein' a 'possum.

How many uses for tobacco juice can you come up with?

Fixin' a leaky pop-up camper while it's pouring cats and dogs.
Al

1. Local Kids with fly-swatters work wonders here.
2. It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission. Remember that. :D
3. Refer to answer in #2!
4. A folgers coffee can would suffice in the case of an emergency. Always has for me...
5. Pepper the dog with a load of 7 1/2's... If that don't work. Don't worry, he'll never hunt again, period. :D
6. My mom always use her cigarette tobacco juice to "cure" a bee sting. I'd rather hurt than have that crap mashed into my skin... :eek:
7. You don't... You know of said leak before said rain and put your buddy in "the most comfortable spot"... ;)

Duramax

Always keep the duct tape on hand. it can be used for a multitude of things. If you blow a radiator or heater hose it will get you to a parts store. Just wrap the hose up with it. Not to menation what bungee cords will hold down. I would say that all you need is some duct tape, bungee cords, tie wraps, and ratchet straps.

DoDahDaze

Keep a pair of your wife's old pantyhose in your truck or car. Can be used as an emergency replacement for a broken fan belt. Just let her know what you're doing or you may be in hot water if she finds them. ::;