Relentless Sportfishing winter recap and spring update

Well its finaly time for a fishing report from me. I had an issue pop up right after the BP disaster that left me wanting greener pastures. So I decided to get back to the roots of my fishing career. I knew I had to take Relentless to Palm Beach to fish the winter sailfish season. I fished a few touraments and ran some charters and refined my daytime swordfish techniques. It was a great time and I plan on going back next year at the end of November and do the same thing. We had some pretty amazing sailfish days and I learned some things that might give me an edge while tuna fishing. It’s quite a feat to have two kites up with three baits each and a few flatlines and chase down multiple sails while keeping everything flying and not a giant cluster well you know what. I am also working with Tines and Spurs Outfitters out of Kansas and helping book bowhunters for the hunts Jeff offers there. So I have quite a few irons in the fire. Plus trying to expand Relentless Sportfishing here in Venice. I’m hoping to add another boat hopefully next spring.
Now for the fishing in Venice I have ran a few trips since being back. The fishing is typical springtime fishing with numbers of yellowfin but in the 30-40lb range with a kicker fish most days in the 80-115lb range and very very plentiful. Like on the level of not fishing tuna past 10:00 on most days. And plenty of days back at the dock before the trout and redfish charters are back. It’s just that good right now and with the rising fuel cost the fuel bills have been incredibly small.
The best part is that it’s summer time livebait fishing no more cutting up nasty rotten poagies and tons of blackfin and bonito for chum. Just pure and simple clean livebait fishing. For tackle I am using the Torsa 40 which does 90% of the fishing year round. The reels are loaded with 80lb braid and a 100 yard topshot of Momoi Hi-Catch. I switched over to that after using it during the sailfish season . I like it a lot better than the Diamond line. As for hooks I am using the standard light wire sailfish hook the 2004ELF 8/0 I haven’t straightened one out yet with the 16-18lbs of drag. The norm is to live chum the tuna into a frenzy and then just pitch baits to them. Most days after you take the boat out of gear you don’t put it back in gear until the clients cry no mas. It’s pretty insane at how quick the bite is. Before you know it there are tuna laying all over the floor and blood from head to toe. Learning to dance should be a requirement with five or six yellowfin on at a time things gets very hetic and exciting fast. Part of the reason there are no pictures with this report is the fishing is just to - I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH - good to play glamour shot with each fish right now. I do have a few from the board at the end of the day I am working on getting resized so I will add them later.
Our summer season seems to be getting off to a good start this year and will only get better as we get farther along into the summer. I look forward to fishing with my flyfishing clients and seeing how many of our previous world records we can break. And putting to use the daytime swordfish techniques I worked on while in Florida.I was the first boat to get one trying for them in the daytime in La. For the guys that are not hung up on having enough tuna for a couple of years. This is the chance for a incredible fishing experience and one - I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH - of a trophy. This will be a good year for the gulf and for Relentless Sportfishing so I look forward to fishing with all of my regular groups and even more to the new groups.
Catch’em up
Capt. Mike

Latest posts