REM 870 20gauge choke recommendations

Dupree

Usually something with a .565-.575 has a nice forgiving pattern with tss.

MOTS

Which Carlson choke do you have? I just bought a .575 from them in 20ga and hadn't tried it yet.

Lumpkin Hunter

What shot are you going to use? If using lead, TSS or Winchester Extened Range loads different choke restrictions will give a very different results. Sometime barrel length will also.
With that said I can only give you information from my experiences. Both myself and my SIL shoot 20 gauges, his is a Remington 870 youth and mine is a Remington 1187 youth. Both have I believe 20" or 21" barrels. We both shoot Federal #9 TSS and I shoot Apex #9 2.75" loads as my 2nd and 3rd loads. I do this due to the gun doesn't feed the 3" with the rolled crimp very well. As to chokes I shoot a Carlson .585 flush mount regular choke I got for $15 at Bass Pro. I've tried the Primos tight wad which I believe is a .572, it did OK at 40 yards but for my gun the Carlson .585 $15 choke does the best for smooth even patters at 15 yards out to 40+ yards. My SIL shoots a Carlson extended in .575 in his 870 and likes it a lot for the same reasons I like mine. I tried this choke in my gun and the more open choke game me the pattern I wanted.
As to shooting Lead or the WIN extended range loads I can't be of any help due to once I tried the TSS loads (which are expensive) I wouldn't go back to anything else.
I hope this helps.

deast1988

.555 for long beard #6
.560 for long beard #5

I’ve used a .562 sumtoy, with federal #7s, to nitro #9s, apex #8.5s, I had my bore polished, forcing cone lengthened, action and trigger done. I wanted a more forgiving hunting pattern so ended up ordering a .575 Indian creek and never looking back.

I was getting almost 12ga numbers with a .555 and still scary tight with .562 the .575 Is the sweet spot for me.

Buford_Dawg

The full choke that comes with the gun works great for me with TSS 9 shot. I didnt even try any other 3rd party brand. I liked what I saw when I tested it at 40 yards. Killed a bunch of birds with it out to 52 yards. Must say TSS 9 shot is the real deal.

GADAWGS

I shoot tss in my 20ga guns. I have run the Sumtoy 562-5 and it was a tight pattern at 40yds, but a little too tight for my taste. My son used the Indian Creek .555 and really liked that. Personally, I have a .570 in one 20ga and a .585 in the 870. Of the two, I think I like the .585 best

OffTheBeatnPath

I had an 1187 20 gauge I used last year with a primos tight wad.. I shot apex #9s and it was a great set up.

If you’re shooting tss you don’t need a $90 choke imo that tight wad or a comp n choke will be all you need.

Like others have said, 555 and tss is too tight for my liking