Remington 700 BDL - 7mm-mag

j_seph

So my rifle is a 94' model, love her but have not been able to use her for a couple years and been hunting with my Browning.
My Rem got to where you would shoot it sometimes first shot sometimes 2nd shot and then you could not pull the bolt out. Didn't have too much issue rotating it up it just would not come out. Started noticing the accuracy was not consistent at all. Even thought the scope was the issue. Pulled bolt on it the other day and started looking into that being the problem. Noticed a lot of brass inside where the ejector and extractor is. Could or would this be the problem of inconsistent rounds and bolt hanging? The black is where I had the rifle Teflon coated and for some reason he decided to put Teflon on the bolt.

Attachments

• 20201014_105552.jpg
    20201014_105552.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20201014_105609.jpg
    20201014_105609.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 20201014_105648.jpg
    20201014_105648.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 20201014_105703.jpg
    20201014_105703.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20201014_105724.jpg
    20201014_105724.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 20201014_105752.jpg
    20201014_105752.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 35
  • 20201014_105815.jpg
    20201014_105815.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 32

frankwright

Definitely a good possibility.
There are videos on youtube of taking the bolt apart. It is not complicated. Give it a good cleaning, get all the trash out of it and see if that doesn't help.
Teflon may have to come off if that does not fix the problem!

Jester896

Senior Clown
700s have 2 different types of extractors, one is riveted in and the other is snap in. If you don't have the proper tools it will be hard to remove and replace the rivet. It looks like the coating is all underneath it and is going to interfere with extraction. It has broken loose from the ejector already. You can drive the roll pin out and clean around it...but don't let the spring get loose under it.

If you want to send the bolt to my friend he can fix it for you. PM me and I will give you shipping info if you would like.

you may also be able to scrape it out with a dental instrument being careful not to bend the riveted extractor.

Last edited:

j_seph

My extractor for sure is not rivet.

Jester896

Senior Clown
if that is the case...then it just snaps in. However when you ar digging around it to get it loose don't bend that one either :). Once it is out you will be able to clean under it well...and it will just snap back in.

you may be able to scrap it of of the ejector without removing it looking at the picture

bullgator

Why is the firing pin showing (protruding) on a pulled bolt?

nmurph

Probably because it is so gunked up it can't retract. That whole bolt needs to be pulled apart and carefully cleaned as well as the abutment area in the receiver.

bullgator

I’m guessing part of the problem is a partially compressed spring.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Why is the firing pin showing (protruding) on a pulled bolt?

I was too busy looking for why it wasn't extracting to see that :) it seems

Probably because it is so gunked up it can't retract. That whole bolt needs to be pulled apart and carefully cleaned as well as the abutment area in the receiver.

yeah...if he dipped it in the teflon (looks that way) it is all inside of the bolt and it all needs to come apart...I have the tools for complete disassembly if your close....just not the rivet tool.

bullgator

I think if you closed that bolt on a round it would fire
Maybe if you slammed it. Normal bolt operation would either slightly dent the primer (like floating pins) or move the pin back into the bolt, or a combination of both.
Either way my guess is cleaning the bolt would solve the problem he’s having.

j_seph

The firing pin is out because a friend and I at work was looking at it and I had pulled the piece on the end and turned the back of the bolt.

bullgator

?

Jester896

Senior Clown
You can pull the silver cocking piece back with the shaft of a small screwdriver if your hand strength is good and unscrew the firing pin and shroud from the bolt. You can inspect it and clean it accordingly. Then get a dental pick and scrape that other stuff from around the extractor. IF it is the snap in type...once you get enough off you may be able to get it out without damaging it to clean underneath. The rivet type it is hard to see it because it is finished to the surface so the bolt goes into battery better.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...ngton-700-riveted-extractor-kits-prod321.aspx

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...actor-rivetless-sku767918160-10925-27378.aspx

I am not sure either of those is for the magnum bolt face

Last edited:

bullgator

Or maybe shoot some guns scrubber up in there and see if that will rinse it out

Darkhorse

The 700 bolt is designed to be taken apart easily. Its been awhile since I had mine apart but it goes something like this, Pull the bolt away from the cocking piece and insert a dime in the gap. Turn the bolt sleeve CCW until free. Check and clean all parts.
If I missed something here just type it in you tube.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Pull the bolt away from the cocking piece and insert a dime in the gap.

pull the cocking piece away from the bolt and put the dime between the cocking piece and the bolt. When it goes back together apply a small amount of grease on the threads and the tip of the cocking piece where it contacts the bolt. wipe with a q tip