Ribs

dixie

this isn't a recipe, BUT, give it a try next time you want to do ribs on the grill. Light the coals, let them turn white, now instead of spreading them out, push them to one side of the grill, take your slab and put it on the side without the coals, turn the meat about every 20 minutes, the last 20 minutes, start adding the sauce one side at a time, a gas grill, just light one side. Just look at the bone tips, when the meats pulling up the bone, the ribs are done. this indirect heat is the way to go.

dbone

Outdoor Cafe Moderator
Been doing it for years !! similar to smoking but without the smoke ------------ darn good eatin :)

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I do them same while camping(RV'n). I however soak some hickory chips until soggy and add them to the coals for a little smoke flavor. At home I use my smoker for indirect cooking most of the time. I have a smoker, a gas grill and a charcoal grill. Had all three go'n at the same time this weekend. :banana: Now that was fun, but it was work as well.

marknga

GONetwork Member
The indirect is the only way to do Ribs right in my book. I have a kettle type Weber grill that is about wore out but I can cook up some great ribs/loins/chops.
I like to use the hickory chips also as it adds a nice smoky flavor BUT the single biggest thing I do is that after letting the meat cook/turn/cook/turn about 2 hours I then wrap it in aluminum foil and let it cook another 30 minutes +
This really keeps the meat moist.
I did a whole deer tenderloin a couple of weeks ago and it was awesome.............

Mark

dixie

does anyone remove that "film" on the bone side of ribs? I never have but I hear it helps the favor to remove it.

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
marknga said:
I usually remove the membrane but I guess it is a personal choice.
Ditto.

dutchman

dixie said:
does anyone remove that "film" on the bone side of ribs? I never have but I hear it helps the favor to remove it.

Not sure if it helps the flavor or not, but it helps the tenderness.

A spray bottle of apple juice is always handy when I'm doing butts or ribs. I keep 'em wet!

And Mark is telling the truth about the aluminum foil deal. The smoke flavor is added in about the first two to three hours of cooking. Then wrap the slabs in foil and let 'em cook in there till done. Also helps tenderness and holds moisture in. Try this, you won't be disappointed with the results.