Right to Retrieve Law

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Although I am against anyone entering private land to retrieve their dog or game without seeking permission;
I am more against this sort of thinking which sounds a lot like threatening the trespasser with violence .
Do this and you will be on the wrong side of the law and justifiably so!

I have caught a lot of trespassers over the years. I haven't hurt one yet. One went to jail and I treated them all like they were a threat.

If you catch a person on your property without permission why would you treat them any other way?

Hillbilly stalker

I don't know......maybe comon sense ? Lost , wandering, missed the property lines ? Just being a dumb kid ? No reason to go Mad Max on everybody you run into. It's pretty easy to tell if someone's up to no good . Not excusing trespassing, but jeez.. Some of y'all are wrapped WAY TOO tight.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
It isn't always that easy to tell. I don't want to be among those who weren't able to tell in in time. My doc checked my winding last visit and said it was OK.

Hillbilly stalker

Maybe it's the common sense thing that's missing then ?

Y'all scared of jehova witnesses and Girl Scouts selling cookies too ?

rigderunner

Had a kid retrieve his baseball out of my backyard the other day. I decided Not to turn my two attack dogs loose get my war helmet and load my 50 cal machine gun while hollering at my family to call the gbi and fbi because someone was on my peice of land. Instead I went outside and talked to the young fellow and offered him a place to play ball in my backyard where he has more room. I told him to not even ask just go for it. I also told him when squirrel season comes around to hunt my property like I would. I don't have anything to hide I keep my nose clean so I'm not worried about it. I love these big bad guys who are gun happy because there scared of there own shadow. I think alot of folks have things to hide that's why there so protective of the plot of land that the tax man let's them sleep on. Not saying anyone here is hiding anything just speaking in general keep your panties out of a wad fellows

NCMTNHunter

The problem with right to retrieve laws is that they do not solve the problem. The problem is that hunting dogs from time to time get off of the property where they are supposed to be. The land owner doesn't appreciate the dog or hunter being there and that gives dog hunting another black eye. Making it legal for a hunter to trespass to retrieve a dog will not make the landowner like it any better and will not promote any better views of dog hunting. It would probably do just the opposite.

What will help solve the problem is us hunters doing everything we can to reduce the frequency of this happening.

The single most important thing we can do is take the time to train our dogs to come when called. If a dog is within 300 yards or so of a road you call a well trained dog out without setting foot on private property.

Couple that with today's technology where we can watch our dogs on a magic map and know when they are approaching property lines we stand a much greater chance of stopping the problem before it starts.

Then on the rare occasion that a dog gets locked down on private property we can handle the situation with some sense and respect. That is a lot easier to do if it only happens to the landowner once in a blue moon vs multiple times every season.

ArmyTaco

Its kind of funny that this post popped up. There was just a post in a Ga hunting page on FB about retrieving a deer that had crossed property lines. That majority of deer hunters said they would go get the deer regardless. It was funny to see how those same hunters get all bent out of shape about a hunting dog occasionally getting on their land, but when the roles were reversed, had no issues doing the same for a deer.

Doghunter11

Its kind of funny that this post popped up. There was just a post in a Ga hunting page on FB about retrieving a deer that had crossed property lines. That majority of deer hunters said they would go get the deer regardless. It was funny to see how those same hunters get all bent out of shape about a hunting dog occasionally getting on their land, but when the roles were reversed, had no issues doing the same for a deer.
I couldn’t agree more. It’s a shame how the mighty deer has turned so many good folks into selfish and greedy people. I hunt deer and small game hunt with dogs and it’s not that hard to be considerate and respectful of both sides. If a neighboring club occasionally had a dog get on my property while hunting I’m not going to get upset about it unless it happens continuously because of lack of effort on the hunters part. Same goes for retrieving a deer off my property, I Would ask them to call or send a text letting me know In case I’m hunting and so I know who the people are if I get them on a trail cam