Ruger Single Six - Adjustable sight question

Luv2Bowhnt

I have a Ruger Single Six that I purchased recently. I've tried twice to sight the gun in and I'm having trouble. The gun is shooting high and I've adjusted the rear sight as much as I can and it's still shooting considerably high. I can't adjust the sight anymore. I'm only shooting from about 12-15yds. Like I said, I've turned the adjustable screw as far as I can turn it and it doesn't appear that's its moved....only slightly if at all. Any ideas?? Thanks

Clemson

You are moving the sight DOWN, right?

killerv

if rear sight is bottomed out...sounds like you need to find a taller front sight. If its a new model shouldn't be a problem, old models would have to be brazed on. If I'm not mistaken single sixes take the same sights as their mk autos and taller sights should be easier to find, people replace them for taller sights all the time to work with suppressors, etc.

trying a different ammo can make a difference too

Jester896

Senior Clown
manual says, turn the screw clockwise to lower...each click moves the POI 3/4" at 25 yds

Last edited:

Darkhorse

I posted this in the Handgun forum a few days ago,

There is a spring under the rear sight. If the spring is out of it's retainer hole you cannot lower the rear sight enough to sight it in. The rear sight must be removed, then the spring must be put back in it's place and the rear sight put back on.
Under no circumstance should the front sight be filed down on a pistol with adjustable sights.
I've done this a couple of times many years ago and don't remember it being difficult.

Then I posted this today,

I looked at my single six and it looks like if you remove the screw that adjusts your elevation, then the rear sight will pivot up on the tiny pin at the front of the sight. Then you can access the spring and put it back into it's proper place. Before tightening the screw press down on the sight blade. You should feel spring pressure yet the sight will be able to bottom out on the pistols frame.
What happens is, if the spring comes out of it's detent then it will prevent the sight from going down far enough to sight it in.
It's been a long time and this is something that rarely needs doing so I can't remember exactly how I did it but this is how I would proceed.

Robust Redhorse

Try different ammo, experiment with different things: loads, sight pictures, etc.

Once you file down that front sight, there is no going back.

tad1

I’m with dark horse, that spring could be bound preventing the rear sight from being screwed down fully.
Or the op sight picture “just ain’t rite”!
This is assuming no mods have occurred on the pistol. I’ve replaced the sight blade on my mk2 ruger fairly easily with aftermarket. Please give us an update OP, hope your back on track!