SCOPING DADDY'S "DEER RIFLE" !!

Big7

The Oracle
Daddy had this Mosin Nagant before I was born.
The first person to sporterize it did an excellent job and even made a good looking, permanently attached front sight and made it the correct height. It is not adjustable for windage. He wasn't the one that scoped it and I don't even know if Daddy bought it like that or had somebody cut it down and get rid of a LOT of wood and barrell.

It was his only centerfire rife except for a
mint 7400 243 I got him. He gad it 25 years and never took it out of the case. He always used his Mosin. He called it "The Russian".

Fast forward about 30 years of shooting irons and Daddy wanted a scope.
Later on some jack- leg pretending to be a "gunsmith" messed it up a little putting a scope on it. It was a steel tube Weaver Challenger Fixed 2.5X 25.4 (1.000) Objective and he bent the bolt way more than he needed to. I can see where he had some trouble with how he did it but there are Mosin scope mounts available that actually work and not a bubba job. I'll give him the scope being the devil but he could have done a better job on the bolt.

Anyhoooo... I'm going to fix it in honor of my Daddy and hopefully kill a deer with it this season.. PS... He loaned it to a military buddy in the 90's and he killed a Bull Elk with it while it still had the iron sights.
20230922_204034.jpg20230922_205938.jpg

Big7

The Oracle
Going to try a Red Dot. Never done that with a centerfire before. Should be a handy rifle in the woods and for quick shots. I put another bolt in it and got rid of the one that was bent for the scope. I'll try the Red Dot and if it don't work, I will buy a proper Mosin Nagant scope mount and fix it up right. It's in really good shape to be 87 years old. Made in 1936. It's DEFINITELY a family heirloom even though it's not worth a lot of money on the street. It's priceless to me.
20230922_231407.jpg20230923_000357.jpg

Last edited:

bighonkinjeep

Did you check the headspace after replacing the bolt?
Just replacing the bolt on any rifle much less old milaup stuff can be sketchy at best without headspace gauges and the tools to adjust and set proper headspace.
Please make sure to properly check it.
Wouldnt want anybody to get hurt and lose their face or hands or worse.
I'd darn sure dig the old bolt out of the trash and make dang sure before just loading that rifle and handing it to somebody or pulling the trigger. Might even work a couple of times before catastrophe, it definitely needs to be confirmed as good to go before use..

Last edited:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Sorry, but a red dot on that classic is just butt ugly. It would look nice with a proper mount and appropriate glass.

I’m no smith, but a check on head space might save an injury with a new bolt.

Big7

The Oracle
Did you check the headspace after replacing the bolt?
Just replacing the bolt on any rifle much less old milaup stuff can be sketchy at best without headspace gauges and the tools to adjust and set proper headspace.
Please make sure to properly check it.
Wouldnt want anybody to get hurt and lose their face or hands or worse.
I'd darn sure dig the old bolt out of the trash and make dang sure before just loading that rifle and handing it to somebody or pulling the trigger. Might even work a couple of times before catastrophe, it definitely needs to be confirmed as good to go before use..
Yep.

It's easy on them. You can check it with soft solder in a pinch but since I have 3, once upon a time had 4, I bought a set of gauges.

bighonkinjeep

Yep.

It's easy on them. You can check it with soft solder in a pinch but since I have 3, once upon a time had 4, I bought a set of gauges.
Cool. Just checking. Bolt removal and reinstallation is easy. Properly swapping for a different one, not always so much.

Big7

The Oracle
Cool. Just checking. Bolt removal and reinstallation is easy. Properly swapping for a different one, not always so much.
My dumb but sister lost one of my Ruger bolts one time. I kept it in a hard case and it wouldn't close with the bolt in it.

Had to send it back to Ruger to have them put it in per their policy. They won't even send a bolt to a licensed Gunsmith. I can see not sending it to a "regular" guy, but a licensed Gunsmith?

I think they only charged me for the bolt and I'm sere with the tolerances on the 77 MK2, it 2 was a drop in but they still had to check it.

Big7

The Oracle
Sorry, but a red dot on that classic is just butt ugly. It would look nice with a proper mount and appropriate glass.

Yes, I know but I'm not going to do anything to Daddy's rifle I can't put back exactly like it was when he passed

Bobby Bigtime

They are a bit hideous. I have used red dots on a couple mosins and they work fine. I agree that a proper mount and glass would be a much nicer touch and fitting tribute to that man's favorite rifle. At the very least a much smaller red dot.