What is an "ethical hunter"?

deers2ward

"ethical: pertaining to or dealing with morals or the principles of morality; pertaining to right and wrong in conduct. being in accordance with the rules or standards for right conduct or practice, especially the standards of a profession"

rules are probably laws when it comes to hunting

standards are more subjective...could vary based on geography and a million other factors
______

I think we all know when we are about to do something that it either is or isn't the right thing to do.

As a kid you have to make that decision and learn as you grow up, sometimes with pain or punishment as a "reason" to not do it again, but hopefully you learn that it isnt about getting caught. Its about what is good in the world and what is evil.

Being an adult should mean keeping yourself out of situations that put you in a position to have to make those decisions.

Obviously there are outliers like the OPs story that are exceptionally rare

onemilmhz

Thanks for the kind words everyone. The story is 100% true, and even made the wife tear up last night. I've never shared it with anyone, not even her. Until now it's just been between her dad and I. With Ed now retired, and my taking on more of the lead in our hunting adventures together, the timing somehow felt right. I hope my boys feel the same way someday, and each have a story of their own to share down the road.

Kdad

Well done... My first harvest was a cluster of a hunt too, so I can relate. Mine was so bad that on the way back to get my truck I almost decided that was going to be my first and last deer ever. That was 27 years ago...

My Grandfather is the one to credit for my motto at the bottom and I remember it every time I go hunting or fishing but it really applies to everything, every day for me. And just for everyone, it has been there since I became a GON member not just for the discussion.

riverbank

Good story. I'll be honest i usually won't read the real long posts on here but you have some sure enough writing skill. It had me wanting to know what was going to happen. And you done the right thing. Good job.