Russian Boar stock

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Hogs starting to show up on the lower southwest corner of Miller county Ga. The ones I've seen appear to be crosses of feral and Russian. Saw one large boar that appeared to be Russian. Anyone else seeing these hogs in this area. And where is the Russian stock coming from? Sows have striped pigs, striped like in baby quail, indication of Russian stock. Lucky they are on acorns and havn't ruined our food plots yet.

Ga-Spur

Well it is just a matter of time.I would suggest you go after them now. Bait them to traps and kill them.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Wild Boar recipe

Dress and clean your boar meat as you would any other wild game. Cook well done on a gill with plenty of quartz rocks between the meat. When done, throw the meat away and eat the rocks. If it's sow or shoat meat, forget the rocks, just barbeque and enjoy the meet. :type:
Son

Junebug

Hey Son,
I know this ain't got nothing to do with russian strain hogs, but I figured you could help nonetheless. I've got the beginnings of a decent stone artifact collection and want to know how to best preserve them. I know...they're rock right? Pretty well "preserved."

But do you do anything special to them to once you find them?

'Bug

Junebug

And now for the russian hog related response; but in Macon county (quite a bit north of you) I think folks may be releasing boars from somewhere else. I saw one last year; coal black, beady eyes, little ears, bristles 10" long, low narrow hips, and the most arched "razorback" I'd ever seen.

There wasn't nothing about him feral domestic hog.

Last edited:

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Russian Hogs

Those we have seen on our lease are black with long rusty colored hair along the back and jowels. Looks to have finer hair under the guard hairs. Straight forehead to the snout.
Junebug, visit my website, go to the msg board for discussion about arrowheads, typology, age and their keep. :type:
Son

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
hogs

Good info Phil, hadn't though about looking there.
Guess they just finally migrated to this area, as we havn't had hogs before. Sure hope nobodys turning them loose. :type:

sowega hunter

I know people who live in the Mayhaw area that have been seeing hogs for 2 or 3 years now. I don't know where they came from but they showed up awhile back. If it were me I would be shooting everyone I saw just to get rid of them.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Hogs

Yes, I've seen them behind the Molton place and several other places south of the road that goes from Springfield to highway 91. Last year the farmers had fellows with catch dogs and traps after 'em. Guess they must have scattered some of them north. But I never figured the hogs to be eurasian. Locals said some farmers turned them loose when hog prices went down. Ain't no farmer had these hogs. Wish somebody would turn some deer loose, not seeing much sign. ::huh: