S@W 9VE 9mm Jamming

madsam

1. Gun is spotless 2. Good Ammo (brass) 3. Tried different clips & ammo 4. Clean Ramp
Gun is not ejecting the casing after it is shot. Also, bullet underneath casing(in clip) is not putting
pressure on the casing preventing it from ejecting. I have shot this pistol steady for the
last 5yrs. with no problems. Started jamming on our Thanksgiving shoot. Any advice or similars
please share.........Thanks !!!!

Madman

Jamming as in stove piping? That would translate into a feeding problem.
What has changed? New parts? Ammo? Grip?

madsam

Yes sir ,stove piping . I have changed nothing with the gun. The internals
are clean , no build up. I keep this gun clean. Its my around the house gun.
I did change clips and shot different ammo and still want get past the first
shot. The jam isn't typical . The bullet under the shot bullet isn't pushing
up trying to get in. But it does this with both clips.

Attachments

• IMG_3534.jpg
    IMG_3534.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Will it eject a round (or case) manually when you rack the slide?

Check and be sure that the lug that engages the rim of the case is not worn or broken. It will also have a small spring that allows the extractor a tiny bit of movement.

Could have a sliver of brass, dirt or residue "holding off" the extractor lug from engaging the case rim properly...

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
Looks like the extractor is pulling the casing (maybe)...pull the slide full and see if the ejector is broken. The extractor pulls the spent casing against it to eject on blowback. If the ejector is there, then its the extractor not pulling the casing back against it.

trial&error

Your picture seems to show the brass still in the chamber mostly. Thats FTE (failure to eject) since it's still in the chamber. There is a catch on your slide known as the extractor that is supposed to grab the rim of the case and pull it back. As mentioned earlier by (RR) it's either worn broken or jammed. There is a spring that holds it on the rim tight, but allows it to spread out over the rim of the next round. It doesn't move very much, but it should move and spring back.

Hillbilly stalker

I don’t know what ammo your shooting….but try something else just to see. I have big problems with a certain ammo (Winchester) in one of my .22 rifles. I have to dig almost every other round out of it. I believe the brass is thinner and swelling more than normal and that makes for a harder pull for the extractor. If you can find a shell that ejected properly and mike it against one that didn’t, it may show a slight difference. Trying a different ammo is the quickest easiest way other than a visual inspection for debris. Is it his a new box of ammo ?

madsam

Will it eject a round (or case) manually when you rack the slide?

Check and be sure that the lug that engages the rim of the case is not worn or broken. It will also have a small spring that allows the extractor a tiny bit of movement.

Could have a sliver of brass, dirt or residue "holding off" the extractor lug from engaging the case rim properly...
No sir it will not eject manually ......

madsam

Thanks for the responses. I found a gunsmith local and will share what he finds for
future reference..

trial&error

I enlarged your pic for clarity.
1. did you pull your slide back to take the pic?
2. is the slide all the way back?
3. What is the deformity on the front of your slide right above the chamber is it metal or the finish?

Reactions: Dub

Hillbilly stalker

Will it eject an unfired round when you rack the slide ? That would tell you if the casings are swelling.

rosewood

Dirt or crud under your extractor can keep it from going fully inward where it will catch the case rim and eject it.
A lot of stuff gets caught up under there with a good bit of firing.

Could be a piece of brass that tore off rim or copper jacket or anything that could get stuck under the extractor.

rosewood

Is the piece of brass hard to pull out of the chamber by hand? Either the brass is getting stuck and the extractor is slipping off it (because of being tight), or the extractor isn't grabbing the brass (broken or dirt under extractor).

Rosewood

Steve762us

Sounds like broken extractor.

Take a pic of the breech face (where base of cartridge sits, when it's chambered.

There should be a hook on extractor, that latches into rim of case. The gun is acting like that hook is broken off.

rosewood

@madsam , did you ever find a resolution?

If you are 100% sure it isn't the ammo, you can give S&W a call, they will take care of it for you. They will also pay shipping both ways.

Rosewood

madsam

@madsam , did you ever find a resolution?

If you are 100% sure it isn't the ammo, you can give S&W a call, they will take care of it for you. They will also pay shipping both ways.

Rosewood
I am actually taking it to a local Gunsmith next week. I will update you on the results.
It took a while to find someone that can troubleshot.