Sand Hill Cranes

MudDucker

Staff member
I’ve they taste really good (Ribeye of the Sky). Will there ever be a hunting season for them in Georgia?

They are that good and it is doubtful. Is spoke with a fed biologist because we are eat up with them close to me. He said no due to the reintroduction of the whooping crane. Only if that crane gets a much high population will you see sandhill open up in Georgia.

across the river

They are that good and it is doubtful. Is spoke with a state biologist because we are eat up with them close to me. He said no due to the reintroduction of the whooping crane. Only if that crane gets a much high population will you see sandhill open up in Georgia.

The Eastern Population (EP) of sandhill cranes and the reintroduced population of whooping cranes take essentially the same migration route from Wisconsin/Canada in that area down to Alabama/Western GA/ Florida, so that reasoning would make sense. However, it doesn't, because Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama all now have a sandhill crane seasons hunting the same population of sandhill cranes with the same whooping cranes flying through as well. The whooping crane reason doesn't hold water. The more logical reason is that Georgia didn't want to participate in the early experimental seasons because they would have had to do individual training(to not shoot whooping cranes), draw tags, monitor harvest, etc..... It takes some effort and resources to have one.
Similarly, Tennessee and Kentucky choose to participate in the "experimental" early wood duck season many years ago, where there was likewise some effort that had to be exerted to do it. They both still have an early wood duck season, and guess who doesn't.

lampern

Bunch of cranes flew over Atlanta yesterday.

Florida has protected resident year round sandhill and whooping cranes.

Maybe the Feds are afraid those birds might stray into Ga and get shot

across the river

I have never read anything stating that, so I don't think so. I think Georgia just choose to not participate like they choose not to participate in the early season wood duck hunt. This was published by the FWS themselves. The link to the whole thing is at the bottom if you are interested.

Eastern Population of Greater Sandhill Cranes

In 2010, the Mississippi and Atlantic Flyway Councils endorsed a management plan for EP cranes (Ad Hoc Eastern Population Sandhill Crane Committee 2010). One of the plan’s provisions included guidelines for potential harvest of this population when the 3-year average of the fall survey is above 30,000 cranes. Kentucky and Tennessee initiated experimental hunting seasons in 2011 and 2013, respectively; the season in Kentucky became operational in 2015 and that for Tennessee was approved for operational status beginning with this year’s (2017) season. Seasons are allowed between September 1 and January 31 and have a maximum length of 60 days. Actual season dates have been from mid-December to mid- January in Kentucky and late November to late January in Tennessee (Table 13). According the hunt plan, each state is allowed to issue a number of tags to hunters based on each state’s five- year average peak crane abundance. Hunters in both states are required to complete mandatory crane identification training, tag and report harvested birds, and complete a post- season survey. In Kentucky, 267 permits were issued and hunters harvested 50 cranes during the inaugural season in 2011-12 (Table 14). In the 2016-17 season, 336 permits were issued and hunters harvested 171 cranes (Harper 2017). Data provided by the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency indicated that in each of their four seasons 400 permits were issued to
STATUS AND HARVESTS OF SANDHILL CRANES: MCP, RMP, LCRVP and EP 2017 • Dubovsky
hunters. During the initial 2013-14 season 350 cranes were harvested, whereas hunters harvested 393 cranes during the 2014-15 season, 161 cranes during the 2015-16 season, and 586 during the 2016-17 season (J. Feddersen, Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency, personal communication) (Table 14).

https://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/...lCrane/StatusandHarvestofSandhillCranes17.pdf

MudDucker

Staff member
The Eastern Population (EP) of sandhill cranes and the reintroduced population of whooping cranes take essentially the same migration route from Wisconsin/Canada in that area down to Alabama/Western GA/ Florida, so that reasoning would make sense. However, it doesn't, because Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama all now have a sandhill crane seasons hunting the same population of sandhill cranes with the same whooping cranes flying through as well. The whooping crane reason doesn't hold water. The more logical reason is that Georgia didn't want to participate in the early experimental seasons because they would have had to do individual training(to not shoot whooping cranes), draw tags, monitor harvest, etc..... It takes some effort and resources to have one.
Similarly, Tennessee and Kentucky choose to participate in the "experimental" early wood duck season many years ago, where there was likewise some effort that had to be exerted to do it. They both still have an early wood duck season, and guess who doesn't.

You might be right. I was repeating what a fed said.

across the river

Actually the protected Florida birds do stray into Georgia.

You cannot tell a migrant from a Florida bird.

The Florida species are only considered endangered by the state of Florida, not the feds. There is no "protection" from the feds other than the migratory bird treaty that the other species of Sandhills, Gadwallls, and mourning doves also fall under. The only endangered crane the feds recognize is the whooping crane, which migrates through the same area and hangs out with the Sandhills coming down. The few Florida ones that actually make it to Georgia hang out in the Okefenookee. There is nothing preventing Georgia from having a season other than Georgia.

BBond

The Florida species are only considered endangered by the state of Florida, not the feds. There is no "protection" from the feds other than the migratory bird treaty that the other species of Sandhills, Gadwallls, and mourning doves also fall under. The only endangered crane the feds recognize is the whooping crane, which migrates through the same area and hangs out with the Sandhills coming down. The few Florida ones that actually make it to Georgia hang out in the Okefenookee. There is nothing preventing Georgia from having a season other than Georgia.

Never stated they "protected" by the feds. The states that allow harvest of Sandhills in the East do not have any confusion of a different subspecies of Sandhill Crane that has protected status by another state such as Georgia shares with Florida with the Florida Sandhill Crane. So they have thing much easier. If the Florida birds never strayed into Georgia then there would probably be an good opportunity for discussion. They have actually have sometimes wandered further north than the Okefenokee and there is no true line to delineate. As stated they are listed as protected by the state of Florida and thus Georgia also has considered those Florida birds as such.

across the river

Never stated they "protected" by the feds. The states that allow harvest of Sandhills in the East do not have any confusion of a different subspecies of Sandhill Crane that has protected status by another state such as Georgia shares with Florida with the Florida Sandhill Crane. So they have thing much easier. If the Florida birds never strayed into Georgia then there would probably be an good opportunity for discussion. They have actually have sometimes wandered further north than the Okefenokee and there is no true line to delineate. As stated they are listed as protected by the state of Florida and thus Georgia also has considered those Florida birds as such.

Like I stated in another post, that makes no sense because the whooping crane often flies with the Sandhills through Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama, all of which have a sandhill season. They are federally protected, and there are less of them than there are Florida Sandhills. Most of the migratory Sandhills fly through the Central to Western part of Georgia anyway, so if they are worried about it limit the season to certain counties like other states do. Don't have a season for Ware, Charlton, and Camden counties, or whatever other counties it is that the 5 Florida sandhill cranes that make it to Georgia go and visit, and have it for counties no where near those in the central part of the state. If Georgia wanted to have a Sandhill Crane season, they would have one. No one is stopping them but themselves. They choose years ago not to do the experimental wood duck season. They are choosing to not participate in the sandhill crane season. I don't have a problem with them just not doing it due it money, resources, whatever, but lets call it like it is and not try to make up some false reasons why the state doesn't do something.

They are that good and it is doubtful. Is spoke with a fed biologist because we are eat up with them close to me. He said no due to the reintroduction of the whooping crane. Only if that crane gets a much high population will you see sandhill open up in Georgia.
Several years ago I hunted the east coast of Florida and they were everywhere.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Had a bunch heading South, riding Thermals over Rome, GA this afternoon. Credit Nicodemus for "learning" me how to recognize them. :rockon:
Interesting to see them curving/corkscrewing in flight as they wandered South, looking for the updrafts and cruising along.

If it hadn't been for that "spring peeper/frog like" call, I would have never seen them. Amazing to be able to hear them that far up from the ground.

Cmp1

BANNED
Had a bunch heading South, riding Thermals over Rome, GA this afternoon. Credit Nicodemus for "learning" me how to recognize them. :rockon:
Interesting to see them curving/corkscrewing in flight as they wandered South, looking for the updrafts and cruising along.

If it hadn't been for that "spring peeper/frog like" call, I would have never seen them. Amazing to be able to hear them that far up from the ground.
Loud on the ground,,,,no mistaking that sound,,,,

Lilly001

I have a few pairs that nest/feed on my place in Fl.
Beautiful birds.
I never thought of eating them, but I've tried many others.
They sure are loud when you disturb them.

Cmp1

BANNED
I have a few pairs that nest/feed on my place in Fl.
Beautiful birds.
I never thought of eating them, but I've tried many others.
They sure are loud when you disturb them.
You know it's spring here when they fly overhead,,,,making a racket,,,,

normaldave

GON Weatherman
"Calling" all crane experts...Do these guys fly at night?

Just put the dogs up a few minutes ago, and I'm looking in the tree for what is making that sound, and I remembered seeing/hearing a flock back last Fall. Floyd County, GA...

I guess the cold front and high winds aloft are giving them a free ride?