Sawtooth oaks and Dunston Chestnut??

Luv2Bowhnt

Looking for some sawtooth oaks. GA Forestry Commission is out according to them. Chestnut Hill Nursery in Alachua has some as does Nativ Nursery. Do any of you guys have experience with either nursery and have thoughts? Also any thoughts on the Dunston Chestnut that Chestnut Hill nursery grows? Are they better than sawtooth?

Buster

Looking for some sawtooth oaks. GA Forestry Commission is out according to them. Chestnut Hill Nursery in Alachua has some as does Nativ Nursery. Do any of you guys have experience with either nursery and have thoughts? Also any thoughts on the Dunston Chestnut that Chestnut Hill nursery grows? Are they better than sawtooth?

I planted 3 of the Dunston from Chestnut Hill chestnut trees last year and they are doing well
that's about all I can tell you

If you are young and in for the long haul check out Ozark Chinquapin (Castanea Ozarkensis)
they are similar to chestnuts but the protein, carbs and fat is claimed to be much higher than Chestnut or White Oaks

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I see you’re in Tifton, you may find a sawtooth in your area that you can pull some saplings from. I’ve done that in the past up in Crisp co. Good results with the transplanting. It’s just normally a much younger tree than a bought sapling.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Both are good places for trees.Both trees are produces,but in there own way.
Sawtooth produce earlier in the year than Chestnuts..I planted both.

bhouston

I planted Dunstons and they didnt do well. 2 of the 3 died for no apparent reason in the second year. The Sawtooths are doing well and growing fast. I highly recommend Hallman Farms for hardwood and fruit trees.

Toll free: 866-295-8733
Email: info@hallmanfarms.com
Fax: 803-345-0061
By mail: 121 A Mill Road PO Box 207 Little Mountain, SC 29075

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've grown some of the Dunstan chestnuts, and they're good producers. I like them a lot better than the straight Chinese chestnuts.

LifeLongHunter

I planted Dunstons and they didnt do well. 2 of the 3 died for no apparent reason in the second year. The Sawtooths are doing well and growing fast. I highly recommend Hallman Farms for hardwood and fruit trees.

Toll free: 866-295-8733
Email: info@hallmanfarms.com
Fax: 803-345-0061
By mail: 121 A Mill Road PO Box 207 Little Mountain, SC 29075

Do they sell bareroot or container trees?

Kdog

I have grown a lot of Dunstan's from seed and they are all doing great. Think I have 15-20 left that I would be willing to part with at a reasonable price if someone in the area is interested.

arrendale8105

I have grown a lot of Dunstan's from seed and they are all doing great. Think I have 15-20 left that I would be willing to part with at a reasonable price if someone in the area is interested.
I thought that dunstans were grafted? I’m definitely interested though. What size are they?

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Remember to keep transactions in PMs, have a good day.

I ordered a bag of Chestnuts around Thanksgiving about 5 years ago - as Jerry Clower would say "for human consumption". They came from Pike County Nurseries (I think they are in Illinois). They are Dunstan Chestnuts, and you can get a bag of about 60-70 large nuts for about $12. Plenty of videos on YouTube of how to grow them from nuts. So I thought I would try it myself. 1) To see if I could. I have (had) zero experience growing anything. 2) I live too far away from the land I own/hunt to monitor the trees. So knowing they would be planted and left (for the most part) to do the best that they can - I had no interest in spending a lot of money on a bunch of seedings from a nursery.

Google it if you want details but basically -
Of the 70 or so nuts I started with we roasted some to eat and I put 45-50 on a moist bed of peat in my fridge to stratify. Come spring I placed the newly sprouting nuts in individual containers and put them under grow lamps in my home office. Come fall I moved them to the shed - still under the lights but a rat or squirrel got about 8-10 of them so I had to move them back inside for a time. But eventually they grew big enough I moved them outside. They spent the wintered in a pile of leaves and come February they were ready to plant. I sold a dozen - cheap. Planted one in my yard and a little over 2 dozen in the woods. I didn't do an orchard (maybe I should have?). I planted 4-6 together in various spots all over our 1500 acre property. Planted 6 of them in an area that was too wet, another 4 didn't make it in a spot that was too dry. Goldilocks theme unfolding. And the bear (I suspect Papa Bear) found the tree tubes fun to play with and broke half of another set of 6 saplings in the process or entertaining himself.

Today - I have 8 that are still kicking. A couple that didn't have a tree tube got browsed pretty heavy to start with and are kind of bushy. I ended up putting fencing around all that survived year two. Still several years from nuts but it was fun and well worth it.

I actually did the same thing with sawtooth oaks (except we did roast any of those!). The local college has a huge sawtooth oak tree on campus and I collected a bunch of acorns about the time I ordered the chestnuts. Went through the same process. They did better. I have almost 25 of them that have survived.

I promise you anyone can do it. But if that doesn't sound fun to you - honestly it's hard to beat 50 persimmons or crabapples from GFC for $55. (Oaks are the same price). Get yourself a dibble bar and you can plant a bunch of bareroot trees in no time.

jmh5397

Give Kim a call at Chestnut Hills. She is a great resource to have and has answered every question that I have thrown at her. I bought 20 Dunstan's as test trees about 4 years ago. They all produced nuts in the second year after I planted (not much but still produced). This year they produced a couple hundred nuts per tree maybe. I went back last month and bought 400 of their 3 gallon trees and planted on my property. I am partial to container trees instead bare root. I've had bare root trees die on me in the past but don't really remember any container trees dying. I see you love to bow hunt...these trees dump their nuts in about 3 weeks time and they usually start falling in the last week in Sept. where I am located (Jasper County). Hope this helps and good luck with your trees.