Sawtooth Oaks

Gut_Pile

If I am remembering right, sawtooth blooms this year produce acorns the following year. So when judging fall production you need to remember what happened 18 months prior, not 6 months

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’d say at about 7 years they started having a few And 2 years ago none and people on here said it was due to all of the spring rain during pollination , last year they covered the ground and deer ate them til they were gone , I’ve got a couple acre food plot that I planted the whole plot in them , I’ll try to get a picture next time I’m at property

ZACHLASS

When I bought them I was told they were in the same family as white oaks which bear the acorns the same year they bloom not like red oaks that take 2 years.

Elkbane

Nope, they are in the red oak family, so 2 years from pollination to fruit development.

In general, if an oak has a "tooth" at the end of a lobe on the leaf, it's a red oak. Each of those spines on the leaf margin are lobes from a physiological standpoint.

Elkbane

ZACHLASS

Well if they are only going to produce acorns every other year.....I'll push them up and burn them. Thanks for the info

Jim Boyd

Well if they are only going to produce acorns every other year.....I'll push them up and burn them. Thanks for the info

Not so fast.

I have a dirt road that borders my lease.

The trees have produced, in massive amounts, every year for 10 years.

I have never seen them NOT produce.

I just planted 100+ based on watching these trees - and plan to do so every year.

Jim Boyd

Well I'm confused do they produce every year or every other year???

I am a long way from an expert.

As I said, the ones by me are monster producers. Every year for a decade now.

You can roller skate on the road - on top of the acorns.

It is not a few trees, there are well over 200 trees along this dirt road.

I just read several articles and many state they produce almost every year.

One article stated that a well maintained 15 year old tree can produce 1000-1300 lbs of acorns annually.

I just planted 106 trees that are 2 years old.

On the low side of the estimate, that would be 106,000 lbs or acorns per year.

Got deer???

ZACHLASS

I hear ya....i had some on a lease in Twiggs county that did the same thing but these trees in Florida are more work than there worth and I cant buy a single acorn on them.

Jim Boyd

I hear ya....i had some on a lease in Twiggs county that did the same thing but these trees in Florida are more work than there worth and I cant buy a single acorn on them.

We might not know the reason but there is one.

Super hard pan under tree?

Poor pH?

Some strange chemical or pesticide in the soil?

Too much fertilizer - run off from citrus or tillable?

Know you are frustrated but too many people have had too much good luck with them.

Hope it turns around.

Push them up and they will not.....

ZACHLASS

There is no hard pan in central Florida after they mine for phosphate but I understand what your saying...They were all the rage about 10 yrs ago so I thought being a tree farmer already they would be easy and would attrract deer but I was wrong.

ZACHLASS

Ive also planted about 100 dunstan chestnuts and on another thread I see where theyve gotten beetles...seems like I cant win for losing. Also if it was just a season investment it would be no big deal but with trees you invest 10 years or more.