Screwed up. Bought a LH recurve bow but am RH

JR924

Got excited this morning and saw what looked to be a classic recurve.. Vintage 1969 Wing Achery THUNDERBIRD LH Recurve Bow 52#. Did not read the title good and spend $103 on it. Is it possible to for a RH person to shoot a LH bow if they do a lot of practice? I am a beginner archer and willing to take the time. Hate to sell it. Want to get good enough to hunt deer to 30 yards but willing to put in the practice. Thanks in advance for all replies.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
The bidding ended less than 2 hrs ago. I doubt they've even started packing it up yet. Try messaging the buyer and tell them your mistake and hopefully they'll give you a refund and just relist it.

JR924

I am going to try to shoot it LH since I am new to the sport. What are my chances to get deer accurate at 30 yards?

Mountain Rifle

I'm RH but left eye dominant. Some experts will tell you eye dominance shouldn't matter when shooting instinctively.

I made the switch from RH to LH several years ago. Clearly I'm not an expert, because I shoot much better LH.

It took a while to develop the muscle memory, but the switch was not difficult.

As far as effective range goes, what is comfortable for one hunter may not be comfortable for others. I shoot a 60# longbow and take game at 30 yards when conditions are right.

PAPALAPIN

Got excited this morning and saw what looked to be a classic recurve.. Vintage 1969 Wing Achery THUNDERBIRD LH Recurve Bow 52#. Did not read the title good and spend $103 on it. Is it possible to for a RH person to shoot a LH bow if they do a lot of practice? I am a beginner archer and willing to take the time. Hate to sell it. Want to get good enough to hunt deer to 30 yards but willing to put in the practice. Thanks in advance for all replies.
I don’t recommend trying to shoot left handed if you are right handed. This will put you at a definite disadvantage being you are a new shooter. I have a right handed Eing Thunderbird and will swap you if it helps you out. I am I White GA so we are not that far apart. Call me at 770-235-2325 if you would like yo come out snd try it. .. Jack Millet …PAPALAPIN on line

F.A.R.R.

I don’t recommend trying to shoot left handed if you are right handed. This will put you at a definite disadvantage being you are a new shooter. I have a right handed Eing Thunderbird and will swap you if it helps you out. I am I White GA so we are not that far apart. Call me at 770-235-2325 if you would like yo come out snd try it. .. Jack Millet …PAPALAPIN on line
JR924- don’t pass this opportunity up !

This is best opportunity you could have put in front of you to get started right- and a generous one from a very knowledgeable and experienced traditional archer

JR924

This is best opportunity you could have put in front of you to get started right- and a generous one from a very knowledgeable and experienced traditional archer
Thank you. I will give you a call next week.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I am left handed but right eye dominant so I shoot everything right handed.

Robust Redhorse

If you are new to the sport, definitely go with eye dominance over handedness.

You will have hard time trying to shoot accurately with both eyes open, if you don't.

JR924

Got to meet Jack. Great guy with a lot of knowledge on traditional archery. Traded me a good RH bow for the LH I had; in my opinion a better bow than I gave him. He let me shoot it in his indoor range. A little shaky but I can handle it and of course a lot better as I get stronger. Jack definitely got my interest in high gear on traditional accuracy. Started small today at 5 yards. Great hobby and somewhat more pleasing than shooting firearms. Thanks again Jack.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
What's not to like about Woody's, Traditional Archery, and Mr. Millet. This is a great place full of great people and Jack is among the very best.

YankeeRedneck

YESSSS !!! Jack is a wonderful top notch guy!!

PAPALAPIN

Man … you guys are going to give me a swelled head. I didn’t do anything that anyone else would do to help a new guy get started. Never met a trad shooter that wasn’t willing to give a helping hand. That’s what makes this group do great. I’ve had plenty of help when I needed it. Just wanting to do some payback.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Man … you guys are going to give me a swelled head. I didn’t do anything that anyone else would do to help a new guy get started. Never met a trad shooter that wasn’t willing to give a helping hand. That’s what makes this group do great. I’ve had plenty of help when I needed it. Just wanting to do some payback.
Nah Jack, you already had the swelled head, we were just patting you on the back.... :rofl:

PAPALAPIN

Well thanks for the pat, John … just tryin ta help out a newbie…

Latest posts