SD card image type

lildorris00

I have an SD card reader that I will use to check my non-cell cameras. Sometimes, the reader will show the images and other times it will not. When it does not, it says no files. However, I can insert the card into my laptop and view the files. I think the issue is the file type that the images are saved. However, this is done on a single camera next to my house with no options to change the settings on the camera so I am fairly certain it is an SD card issue.

Would this be an issue of different SD cards save the images as different file types (jpg vs png)? Would this be an old sd card vs new sd card issue? Formatting issue? Its frustrating so I am trying to get to the root cause.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Sounds like an issue with the card reader. The file type is set by the save function in the camera.

If the card reads in your computer and not in the reader then the reader has a problem. It could be bad contacts where it interfaces with the card. If you carry the reader out in the wild there is a chance for foreign objects to get in or for tarnish to form on the contacts. Vacuum first then Google how to clean the contacts.

Gbr5pb

Got a brand new bushnell camera that nothing will read except the laptop and they ain’t pretty! Going to leave it on a tree somewhere and avoid bushnell from now on

lildorris00

I have an SD card reader that I will use to check my non-cell cameras. Sometimes, the reader will show the images and other times it will not. When it does not, it says no files. However, I can insert the card into my laptop and view the files. I think the issue is the file type that the images are saved. However, this is done on a single camera next to my house with no options to change the settings on the camera so I am fairly certain it is an SD card issue.

Would this be an issue of different SD cards save the images as different file types (jpg vs png)? Would this be an old sd card vs new sd card issue? Formatting issue? Its frustrating so I am trying to get to the root cause.
I hear what you are saying, and that was my initial thought. However, I almost swear that the images are saved as different file types depending on the card. I guess it could be that the file types are not changing but the card reader can read it from certain cards and not others

The camera has no way to change settings on the fly and store it as this or that. There is no settings on a trail camera I am aware that you can change the type of picture it saves it as. You can do that on a computer not a trail camera. It’s likely a card reader or memory card issue at best.

Last edited:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Are you using off brand SD cards. I hear that some of them aren't within tolerances and can not be read by all readers. Might be the same with portable readers too but I ain't sure.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
I've had readers that struggled with the slower read/write access time cards. If it's an older card, try a faster one. That's just a guess....

sghoghunter

I ran into this same problem years ago. I would check the card on whatever was close by whether it was a picture taking camera,home computer or card reader. I noticed the problem after I bought a bone view reader cause it would show as a bad SD card. I threw away numerous cards till I emailed bone view about the problem and after I told the owner what the problem was he told me different things that used SD cards had different settings and with me using anything that was close by to check cards it was changing the setting on the card and causing the camera to show a card was bad. Can’t remember what all the settings are but I do remember that he said all trail cameras use the FAT32 setting. I checked all my cards and haven’t had a problem since then. He also told me to do a quick format on a card every time I erased the pictures

lildorris00

I ran into this same problem years ago. I would check the card on whatever was close by whether it was a picture taking camera,home computer or card reader. I noticed the problem after I bought a bone view reader cause it would show as a bad SD card. I threw away numerous cards till I emailed bone view about the problem and after I told the owner what the problem was he told me different things that used SD cards had different settings and with me using anything that was close by to check cards it was changing the setting on the card and causing the camera to show a card was bad. Can’t remember what all the settings are but I do remember that he said all trail cameras use the FAT32 setting. I checked all my cards and haven’t had a problem since then. He also told me to do a quick format on a card every time I erased the pictures
What do you mean when you say you checked all your cards? What did you do/how did you check them?

It’s more important to format it with the camera you are using giving tha camera has a format sd card selection on it. What I do is whatever sd card I use in a particular camera I only use that card in that camera. I don’t mix and match. Doing this I haven’t had any memory card issues

sghoghunter

It’s more important to format it with the camera you are using giving tha camera has a format sd card selection on it. What I do is whatever sd card I use in a particular camera I only use that card in that camera. I don’t mix and match. Doing this I haven’t had any memory card issues

Most people format them in each particular camera but I format all cards on a laptop and I’ll swap them cell or non cell I don’t care except with my Tactacams. I format them the same way but have certain cards for them but not for certain cameras. Tactacams are notorious for corrupting SD cards. I pull and replace with fresh formatted card every time I get around those cameras

Most people format them in each particular camera but I format all cards on a laptop and I’ll swap them cell or non cell I don’t care except with my Tactacams. I format them the same way but have certain cards for them but not for certain cameras. Tactacams are notorious for corrupting SD cards. I pull and replace with fresh formatted card every time I get around those cameras
I have 7 TACTACAMs. I never remove the cards. Really no reason for me too. I can view the pictures on my phone. I connect the cams to Wi-Fi when I am there and format it when I am next to the camera. The reason I don’t swap cards from cam to cam is it makes certain a memory card error can’t occur by mixing and matching cam to cam. I can also determine which card camera is having an issue by knowing which card camera cause the issue if I where to have one. I dedicate two cards to each cam in my non cell cams. This eleinates the possibility or a card being corrupted by any other camera. Piece of masking tape with which card for which camera number. Works for me

sghoghunter

I have 7 TACTACAMs. I never remove the cards. Really no reason for me too. I can view the pictures on my phone. I connect the cams to Wi-Fi when I am there and format it when I am next to the camera. The reason I don’t swap cards from cam to cam is it makes certain a memory card error can’t occur by mixing and matching cam to cam. I can also determine which card camera is having an issue by knowing which card camera cause the issue if I where to have one. I dedicate two cards to each cam in my non cell cams. This eleinates the possibility or a card being corrupted by any other camera. Piece of masking tape with which card for which camera number. Works for me

If that works for you keep on keeping on. I have one particular Tactacam camera that will work fine for a week or so then it will quit checking in but keeps sending pictures. I can swap cards and it will work again as normal for a week or so then it starts not checking in again. Got one right now that hasn’t checked in past four days

If that works for you keep on keeping on. I have one particular Tactacam camera that will work fine for a week or so then it will quit checking in but keeps sending pictures. I can swap cards and it will work again as normal for a week or so then it starts not checking in again. Got one right now that hasn’t checked in past four days
I haven’t had any kinds of issues with my TACTACAMS. Yeah it works for me. I also build external batter boxes with 12 volt 12ah batteries. Much cheaper to operate and don’t have to change batteries much. I like to keep my settings on instant send and all that. That settings drain batteries. But it’s how I like it.

Have you tired updating the firmware in that camera ?

sghoghunter

Have you tired updating the firmware in that camera ?

They all are up to date on updates and this one camera is the only one that’s acting up. It’s the X Pro. Since the firmware update or the app update one it’s quit sending a checkin pic like it’s been doing. I also use 12 volt external battery and this particular camera has a solar panel too since it has lower signal and burns batteries fast

Attachments

• IMG_0076.png
    IMG_0076.png
    82.5 KB · Views: 4
I have 3 xpros. I just have started using those in the last week. So maybe this is something I will look out for. So far they haven’t acted up. Sounds like you have a really nice setup. I have 2 of the solar panels aswell. They work fine it’s just where I run my cams ( in the woods ) they don’t get enough sun light to stay charged. On your cam issue that’s something I have seen much of on the web or experienced. If it’s up to date then you may call customer service. I’m sure you’re already aware of that. Sounds like you have already tried swapping cards etc. maybe a reset would be the only other thing that comes to mind. Are you using the San disk extreme pro cards class 3 and all that stuff ? @sghoghunter

sghoghunter

Yes sir I use them in all Tactacams and Coverts. I can’t really complain to much cause this camera is in an area with 0% cell service. I would get a weak signal even with an extended antenna 10foot up a tree. I done the latest update and I’m getting a moderate signal now. The X Pro is the only camera that works in this area