Second year Dunstens

sghoghunter

I planted 6 potted trees from Wally World and 4 died that summer. I bought 16 more this summer to replace the ones that died and to add a few more. The biggest and best looking tree had maybe 10 clusters of nuts this year. Here’s a couple that’s fell so far

Attachments

• 3467486B-0A8A-46A0-9F30-1793727C11A0.jpeg
    3467486B-0A8A-46A0-9F30-1793727C11A0.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 95

Big7

The Oracle
Deer wouldn't get none if that was me.

I'd be waiting on them to hit the ground. :)

ucfireman

Are they discounting them yet?
I bought 6 early summer for 10/each. on "clearance" I had to ask if they wanted to sell them, they were still marked regular price but they jumped at the opportunity to get rid of them.

I picked up 8 at the Moultrie Walmart today. 4 three gallon and 4 seven gallon.

almoore

I really like the looks of these chestnuts. I have three huge chinese chestnut trees in my front yard (intown Atlanta). The nuts are edible but aren't quite this big. Plus a number have worms, particulary if left on the ground for a few days. The trees have changed from dropping nuts from shortly after labor day to shortly before labor day. When they drop, we have up to 10 deer in the yard. Would seem to be difficult to open up the spikey half open outer shells with their mouths. Also have a huge white oak at the corner of the house. In some big mast years (like this one), deer are eating the acorns so close to the house I could reach out through my home office window and touch them. Not seeing many deer this year because I think there is so much food available in the more secluded areas.

davel

I tried to get our local Walmart to deal on left overs and they wouldn't budge. They would rather throw them away. Ridiculous.

sportsman94

I tried to get our local Walmart to deal on left overs and they wouldn't budge. They would rather throw them away. Ridiculous.

Happened to me a couple years ago. There was a Japanese persimmon in a 7 gallon pot that was all but dead. Think the cheapest they would go was like $20. I’m sure it ended up going in the trash

davel

Happened to me a couple years ago. There was a Japanese persimmon in a 7 gallon pot that was all but dead. Think the cheapest they would go was like $20. I’m sure it ended up going in the trash
I was told they cannot give them away. If they can't sell them they have to throw them in the dumpster. Apparently they get money back from the distributor.

ucfireman

I was told they cannot give them away. If they can't sell them they have to throw them in the dumpster. Apparently they get money back from the distributor.
A few years back I bought some dogwood trees that were on clearance. The garden manager asked me to give a "donation" to the walmart foundation or some charity they were collecting for. I gave a $20 donation and took 10 red dogwood trees. He did something on the cash register and gave me a receipt for the donation.
But yes I was told too that either they sell them or they go in the trash. But usually the manager will help you out. They just have to show a paper trail for the supplier.
The Chestnuts I bought earlier this year were marked down and they basically put it in the computer that they were dead. Then I paid $60 for 1, I got 6. Worked for me. 10/each.

Which walmart?