Second!

Doug B.

I am still trying to learn some of this leather crafting stuff. I have never personally been a fan of a Case Sodbuster, but since I do have one I thought I would try to make a belt sheath for it. Some things on it turned out ok. Other things need some work. I'm glad I have some scrap leather to work with.
IMG_20220324_183917.jpgIMG_20220324_183159.jpgIMG_20220324_183621.jpgIMG_20220324_183413.jpg

Attachments

• 20220324_173841.jpg
    20220324_173841.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 0

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I do like your style and flair. Keep on the path you`re on. I`ll be in touch.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
That looks like a winner Doug!

You may not be a fan of the SB, but somebody sure was a fan of YOU, engraving that knife and all....

So, now that you have such a cool combo, let's see them both after a year of use! ?

(give the SB a chance. You are hard pressed to find a more generally useful blade)

Doug B.

That looks like a winner Doug!

You may not be a fan of the SB, but somebody sure was a fan of YOU, engraving that knife and all....

So, now that you have such a cool combo, let's see them both after a year of use! ?

(give the SB a chance. You are hard pressed to find a more generally useful blade)
That SB was a Christmas present from a former employer. I worked for him for several years running a crew of men. Honestly I don't have a good reason to not like a SB. I know that a lot of people love them. I prefer a two bladed knife like a Trapper or a Copperhead. I guess that's why they make so many different kinds. I think that my next project will be a sheath similar to this one but for a Trapper. Then I have some more fixed blade knives that need a new wardrobe.

As far as a years use, I don't see me wearing this on my belt for a year. I know you have a SB. I will gladly send this sheath to you and let you try it out if you would like to. Let me know.

bullgator

That looks like fine work to my untrained eyes.

Anvil Head

Looks pretty solid. I'd wear it everyday use like for a while and see if it retains the knife well, keeps it reasonably accessible and wears comfortably. From what I see, it should do all three quite well. If it glitches a little in one of those three criteria, assess the issue and adjust accordingly.
Again, very nice work. When you going to start adding a little "bling" tooling?

Doug B.

Looks pretty solid. I'd wear it everyday use like for a while and see if it retains the knife well, keeps it reasonably accessible and wears comfortably. From what I see, it should do all three quite well. If it glitches a little in one of those three criteria, assess the issue and adjust accordingly.
Again, very nice work. When you going to start adding a little "bling" tooling?
Thanks! You and Railroader are right. I should wear it and see how it holds up. The knife is really snug in it right now. I'm sure it will loosen some with wear, but the only way to find out is to wear it.

I am interested in starting some tooling and stamping. I have been looking at some equipment to try.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Thanks! You and Railroader are right. I should wear it and see how it holds up. The knife is really snug in it right now. I'm sure it will loosen some with wear, but the only way to find out is to wear it.

I am interested in starting some tooling and stamping. I have been looking at some equipment to try.
Tandy prolly has what you want in stock.

Anvil Head

Get some stainless steel bolts and make your own custom stamps. Last forever and won't flake chrome and rust. Plus you can make them just the way you want. I have a rack of store boughts that a friend gave me, I use maybe 4 or 5 of them regular but the rest mostly collect dust. I mostly use my homemade ones the most.
Actually you can make most all your leather tools with just a little thinking and scrap tools you have lying around. They will work better than store bought and help you branch out your skills.
If you lived a good bit closer to Acworth (or just happen to be down this way) I'd be glade to share some trade secrets (not really secrets). I don't get up your way much anymore since my FIL passed. He was Assistant Fire Chief at the Suches Volunteer FD for years. Was up there a lot back then.

Doug B.

Get some stainless steel bolts and make your own custom stamps. Last forever and won't flake chrome and rust. Plus you can make them just the way you want. I have a rack of store boughts that a friend gave me, I use maybe 4 or 5 of them regular but the rest mostly collect dust. I mostly use my homemade ones the most.
Actually you can make most all your leather tools with just a little thinking and scrap tools you have lying around. They will work better than store bought and help you branch out your skills.
If you lived a good bit closer to Acworth (or just happen to be down this way) I'd be glade to share some trade secrets (not really secrets). I don't get up your way much anymore since my FIL passed. He was Assistant Fire Chief at the Suches Volunteer FD for years. Was up there a lot back then.
I appreciate the offer and I may take you up on it later. I have way too much going on right now but I would love to pick your brain and possibly see how some things are done.

I have got some ideas on making some of my tools. I can do some metal work but I'm not really set up to do much and I have no idea how to even start making stamps and whatnot out of ss bolts!

Anvil Head

On the stamps, all you need is a Dremel and some fine grinding/cutting points, carbide or diamond, imagination, and learn to think backward. First couple are challenging but get much easier once you figure it out. Edgers, creasers, grovers take a bit more thinking but are not hard.
Dremel's are your best friend in any shop.
A small 1"x 32" belt grinder is also very handy for both tool making and edge finishing on your leather work. Lot of little tricks that are simple and make a tremendous difference in finished product. Looks like you have the basics down pretty well so be easy to build from those skills.

Doug B.

On the stamps, all you need is a Dremel and some fine grinding/cutting points, carbide or diamond, imagination, and learn to think backward. First couple are challenging but get much easier once you figure it out. Edgers, creasers, grovers take a bit more thinking but are not hard.
Dremel's are your best friend in any shop.
A small 1"x 32" belt grinder is also very handy for both tool making and edge finishing on your leather work. Lot of little tricks that are simple and make a tremendous difference in finished product. Looks like you have the basics down pretty well so be easy to build from those skills.
Thanks for the pointers! I do have a Dremel so looks like I may be doing some experimenting!