Service Stabilitrak

krizia829

So I have a 2018 Silverado 1500. Was driving on the highway when "Service Stabilitrak" notification came on in my dash. It went away after a few minutes.

A few more minutes passed again and now my engine light comes on. It flashes for about a minute or so and went away. Service stabilitrak eventually came on again.

Background light on my dash would dim every time I'd press down on the brakes.

I pull into a rest area and while looking for parking, going maybe 5 mph, truck completely turns off!!

I quickly put it on park, turn the key to the off position and start the truck again. I park and turn off the truck for maybe 15 minutes and hit the road. Never got the notification again even after about 300 miles or so.

What do you think may have caused this? Should I worry?? I hate going to the stealership. Unfortunately being a woman means they will do their best to scam me. I'd like to at least be more knowledgable before landing over there. Thank you!

DAVE

I would say you had an engine cylinder misfire causing check engine light to flash and misfire caused stalling at slow speed. Stability track may have been reaction to ECM seeing fault in engine ad reacting accordingly, not much other than checking for codes anyone can tell you based on one time temporary event.

Eudora

I had an '09 Silverado that had the stabilitrak light come on just once. Did the same "shut off" for 15 or so minutes and it never came back on during this trip. A little research and decided the wheel speed sensors should possibly be replaced, so both of the fronts were done. Not sure if this fixed it, but that light never came on again. When you said the motor died when you were creeping at about 5 MPH, that made me think it COULD be a faulty wheel speed sensor (?). Not saying it is what caused the problem, but cheaper than a throttle body as some said it could be and much easier to replace. Thought about a re-flash of the ECM's as some suggested if it came up again, but until I sold it, not a reoccuring issue. Seems this is a black hole that nobody has a sure-fire diagnostic or repair for. I just researched and started with the cheapest/easiest and the blind hog may have found the acorn.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
On a Ford, that's an indication one of your ABS sensors are failing. Not sure on a Chevy, but based on Eudora's post, maybe same issue.

transfixer

Sorry, I saw this earlier this week and then forgot to come back to it, I have not run into that as of yet on the later GM trucks, but generally its because the computer thinks one of the wheels has lost traction due to a faulty sensor reading from one of the wheels, could even be a sensor on the transfer case if it is a 4wd,

only way to know if have codes pulled, with a scanner capable of pulling history codes, (most auto parts stores can't do that) a good professional scanner will also show what was happening when the light came on causing the code to set

krizia829

I had an '09 Silverado that had the stabilitrak light come on just once. Did the same "shut off" for 15 or so minutes and it never came back on during this trip. A little research and decided the wheel speed sensors should possibly be replaced, so both of the fronts were done. Not sure if this fixed it, but that light never came on again. When you said the motor died when you were creeping at about 5 MPH, that made me think it COULD be a faulty wheel speed sensor (?). Not saying it is what caused the problem, but cheaper than a throttle body as some said it could be and much easier to replace. Thought about a re-flash of the ECM's as some suggested if it came up again, but until I sold it, not a reoccuring issue. Seems this is a black hole that nobody has a sure-fire diagnostic or repair for. I just researched and started with the cheapest/easiest and the blind hog may have found the acorn.
Oh wow! Yeah it happened only that one time last weekend and hasn't come back on since. Crossing my fingers!

krizia829

Sorry, I saw this earlier this week and then forgot to come back to it, I have not run into that as of yet on the later GM trucks, but generally its because the computer thinks one of the wheels has lost traction due to a faulty sensor reading from one of the wheels, could even be a sensor on the transfer case if it is a 4wd,

only way to know if have codes pulled, with a scanner capable of pulling history codes, (most auto parts stores can't do that) a good professional scanner will also show what was happening when the light came on causing the code to set
Ah makes sense. Thank you! Hopefully it doesn't happen again but if it does, I'll make sure to have someone check it for me with a scanner. I know someone who has one now that I think about it. Thanks!