Setup for a 44mm Scope Objective

01Foreman400

Staff member
If you are mounting a 30mm scope tube with a 44mm objective with picatinny/weaver style mounts this setup is about as low as you can get it. I’ve got 3 rifles with this setup and love it. The bases are Burris Xtreme Tactical part number 410600 for a Remington 700/7. They make other models for different guns as well. The rings are American Precision Arms 30mm .750”. American Percision Arms is out of Jefferson, Georgia.

Bases

Rings

IMG_4088.jpegIMG_4087.jpegIMG_4079.jpeg

Big7

The Oracle
Nice set up but those rings are high for me. :cool:
LOVE LOVE LOVE the Leupold scopes.
Fixing to break down and get a VX3 HD, etc, etc

That don't mean I haven't done something like that.

earlthegoat2

The rings in the pic are .750” high?

What other heights do they have? I can tell that would be too low for me to be comfortable sitting through the scope.

I used some Vortex medium 30mm rings on a Vortex 44mm scope on my Savage Desert Tactical with the one piece pic rail and it was perfect.

rmp

That’s a close fit. Mounting low is fine for top accuracy (wink, wink) but it’s most important to me having the full sight picture without having to press or raise my face on the stock looking for it. Eyes closed, shoulder the rifle, open eyes, and see what you see. I’m not suggesting you do anything different, just general knowledge for anyone reading that’s not aware.

APA builds good stuff although never tried their rings. Seekins does a good job there for me. I do like APA’s M5 bottom metal. There’s a package on the way to me now from them.

Have you ever set a plumb Bob to see how your turret level compares with the vertical of your reticle? It can be surprising.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I used to have a thick washer attached to some orange para cord to verify, but I haven't used it in a while. I have been relying on the levels alone. Sometimes I still use it for checking scope tracking with electrical tape on a 36" plus target @ 100.

It does look like that mount is closer to an extra low rather than a low. I used ex low TPS on my hunting rifle and had to scallop the scope cap so it didn't touch.

Vortex medium would likely measure .970 if they were measure like these rings. .750 would most likely be to the center rather then the bottom.

rmp

I doubt you’d encounter anything with higher end stuff like Nightforce. Can’t speak with much experience though. I’ve heard complaints about Vortex and Leupold. After a discussion with a shooting buddy, he sent pictures of his Vortex along with groups showing the shift. The guys at Vortex told him to use a plumb line and to not rely on a turret. Eye opener for him.

IMG_7414.jpeg

IMG_7415.jpeg

Jester896

Senior Clown
good to see the cap off :)...I'm guessing the cant level was checked/set up with it? Most of mine attach to the rail but I have one that isn't installed for the tube.

I did check 2 of the Nightforces I have with the plumb bob method and there was no issue. I'm sure I used it on the Pentax and Meopta too. I guess I will need to check the new to me Nightforce and.308 as well...now that you firmly planted it in my mind ;).

You know I will have to check all of the Vortex now too :huh:

rmp

good to see the cap off :)...I'm guessing the cant level was checked/set up with it? Most of mine attach to the rail but I have one that isn't installed for the tube.

I did check 2 of the Nightforces I have with the plumb bob method and there was no issue. I'm sure I used it on the Pentax and Meopta too. I guess I will need to check the new to me Nightforce and.308 as well...now that you firmly planted it in my mind ;).

You know I will have to check all of the Vortex now too :huh:
Yes sir. He set up his cant level based off of his turret level.
Mine mount to the tube like his but thinking I might try one that mounts to the rail. Ones like mine are a pain to get just right anyway.

rosewood

Not an issue with your lens cover, but I have found many times when I get that close to the barrel, the objective lens cover can't be put on. I have even trimmed some covers so that could be put on. It does seem to be a case by case basis. Barrel profile matters also.

Rosewood

BriarPatch99

Since I am a small guy ....that set up is perfect for me...my 40 mm is even closer...maybe a dime thickness clearance
Have you ever set a plumb Bob to see how your turret level compares with the vertical of your reticle? It can be surprising.

I have a plumb bob somewhere...but just use a 1 oz lead sinker on a piece of pink mason's line....

Reactions: rmp

rosewood

Since I am a small guy ....that set up is perfect for me...my 40 mm is even closer...maybe a dime thickness clearance

I have a plumb bob somewhere...but just use a 1 oz lead sinker on a piece of pink mason's line....
I hung a 5/8" nut on a tree about 25 yards out my back door and painted it orange.

01Foreman400

Staff member
I setup a plumb line in my basement. No adjustment needed. Checked a few more rifles and they were good as well. Y’all had me worried.

Big7

The Oracle
Nice set up but those rings are high for me. :cool:
LOVE LOVE LOVE the Leupold scopes.
Fixing to break down and get a VX3 HD, etc, etc

That don't mean I haven't done something like that.
I was talking about "high" as in high priced.
Sorry for the confusion. I try to keep scopes low to the bore line. Doubt it really matters until you start getting wwaayy out there.

Very nice set up @01Foreman400 :)

Dub

6'4" four sammich eating Sasquatch looking dude here. :rofl:

Neck injuries with the plates, screws & fused stuff appreciate a non cramped feel on a stock.

High riding scopes are comfortable.

Found out the folks at Simply Rugged have some handy cheek risers that make it all work out for the sporter stocked hunting rifles.

IMG_8841.jpeg
IMG_8840.jpeg

01Foreman400

Staff member
Got another one mounted this morning. A little different setup. This one might be better for the bum neck and back guys. That’s a 56mm scope. IMG_4134.jpeg

Jester896

Senior Clown
the 56mm on my hunting rifle might be a little closer than yours. :D
IMG_1454.JPG
The one going on this new to me .308 is 56mm too...rings should be her Tuesday.

Gave up on finding my plumb bob...going to the auto parts store for epoxy to fix a stock/recoil pad...might as well pick up a big nut to make another.