Shark attack in Maine

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Terrible, but the chances were probably better to win the powerball than this incident. Not a smart thing wearing a black wetsuit and resembling a seal. Most folks have no idea how close so many sharks are to them while in saltwater. I have swam with several species but a white is on my bucket list.

A white is probably safer to swim with than bull sharks. Seems that way anyhow.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
A white is probably safer to swim with than bull sharks. Seems that way anyhow.

Bull sharks are aggressive.

They also tolerate brackish water well and have been found far up rivers from the coast.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Bull sharks are aggressive.

They also tolerate brackish water well and have been found far up rivers from the coast.

I know they`ve been seen as far up the Apalachicola Rivers as Wewa, and that`s pure freshwater.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I know they`ve been seen as far up the Apalachicola Rivers as Wewa, and that`s pure freshwater.
There was one caught in Alton, Illinois on the Mississippi River in 1937. That's a long, long ways from the Gulf.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have always wondered why any time a human is attacked by a shark, they say it was because we were mistaken for a seal or something? Humans are made of delicious meat just like a seal is. Why shouldn't a human that looks like a human be a legitimate target for a predator? We may think we're special, but we're just meat, too, to most predatory critters.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I have always wondered why any time a human is attacked by a shark, they say it was because we were mistaken for a seal or something? Humans are made of delicious meat just like a seal is. Why shouldn't a human that looks like a human be a legitimate target for a predator? We may think we're special, but we're just meat, too, to most predatory critters.

Studies I've seen show humans are not a preferred food. We must taste bad because very few sharks actually consume a human.
A shark samples with its mouth (mouthing prey to see if it's suitable). Unfortunately, humans are so soft tissue'd, mouthing can prove fatal even if the shark doesn't follow through with feeding.

Alligators on the other seem to prefer humans right below dogs.

GreenPig

If you've ever seen a Largemouth really crush a Bone Super Spook you'll understand why I don't spend unnecessary time swimmin in saltwater.

Toliver

That second sandbar you want to swim out to.... yeah you're just a top water bait going over the drop off where the big one is waiting to slurp you down.

WishboneW

After tarpon wishing with a friend who lived on ocklochnee bay I will never get in saltwater again. I caught at least 10 sharks a trip as large as me in shallow water. I used to surf when I lived in Myrtle Beach mid late 60’s. Not now. Lots more now than there used to be and they are hungry

treemanjohn

Banned
Sharks are everywhere. In the Gulf ive seen huge white, makes, tigers, and hammerhead. All in excess of 12ft. Boca Grande is full of massive hammers during tarpon migrations

Fishing a tournament out of Venice we were high speed trolling about 60 miles offshore and a school of bluefin tuna came up in the spread. They looked like Volkswagen beetles zigging and zagging. Maybe 3 hours later orcas came up in the spread. Didn't catch a money fish, but it was a spectacular event