Shooting Doe

Deernut3

It's late in the season and the time I usually turn my focus toward herd thinning, I have two pieces of land that need a few deer removed. I am ridiculously picky about shooting does. I usually look for a yearling that did not get bred last year to shoot. This year I don't see that so I'd like to hear what you think about which does to shoot. I use to always target the biggest does but am not sure if this is for the best. I'm not above shooting does less than a year old for the good of the herd.

UGATurkey

I used to not be terribly choosy, but now I target the older does. Now that the kids are grown I don't need as much meat as before.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
We have an old big framed ribs showing doe that will be the sacrificial doe if one of us sees her.

I’m a out with the old in with the new kinda guy. The old does had there hay day and they will eat goods the only down side is older does generally throw twins where as younger does usually throws singles.. I’m not sure if there is any science behind that just something I always heard and could be ole wives tale

Deernut3

I use to shoot the older 125 Lbs plus does but when coyotes came around I figured these older doe would be able to raise there young to evade the coyotes. I guess at the end of the day I'm over thinking it and there better in my freezer than a coyotes belly or roadside ditch.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
My wife said our hunters shot 2 little doe deer yesterday and they looked tender. I would think of it as quality verses quantity. I cut steaks off of the younger deer like round steaks out of the hams. I have done the front shoulders also. They seem to be great grill meat.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I let a few walk last time I was up here cause they were small. I won’t be so picky this time. I just like to see Fat animals…..same with pigs. Nice round rumps, not boney lookin. For thinning purposes the breeders would have to go?

Hunter922

OP- I'm sure science will say it really doesn't matter a whole lot on wild herds. For me I think the older does are better carriers and providers. So they walk for us. We are carrying capacity thinkers not what the freezer needs thinkers.Now days gone today likely means gone tomorrow. IMO our numbers are not what they use to be.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That one that walks around looking up in the trees and blowing and stomping all the time. I hate that one, and revenge tastes sweet fried and covered with gravy. :)

I don't shoot any on my place, because I would like to see more deer than I have at the moment.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I try to shoot lone doe’s, but you should stagger the thinning.