Shopping for 20 gauge Turkey Shotgun

gtb3440

My goal for the upcoming (and beyond) turkey season is to switch from 12 gauge to 20 gauge autoloader. Being in my mid-60's and lugging around a 3 1/2" chambered 12 gauge takes a toll on the shoulder!
Not too familiar with quality 20 gauge shotguns in my price range - $600 to $800 if possible. I've seen the Beretta A300 in various price ranges, maybe due to the barrel lengths?
Questions:
1. Is the 24" barrel length considered a youth gun?
2. Is the standard 20 gauge barrel length 28"?
I'm not tied into a particular make and model, but I've been looking at Beretta, Benelli, Retay, Browning. Most are close to or over $1,000 which seems to be standard for 20 gauge autoloaders. I've been looking on various websites for new shotguns, but I'd also be interested in a good quality used shotgun such as those listed in the GON classified section.
Any suggestions or thoughts about various makes and models, what to look for, what to avoid, etc., are appreciated.

B. White

Just my two cents worth....I bought a Mossberg super bantam for the same purpose, but it is brutal with turkey loads. I say this as the owner of a 40 year old single shot 10 ga, which doesn't seem as bad. It is painful to pattern. Auto loader may help, but I would shoot one before I bought, if you can. I started to list it for sale last year, but grandkids can shoot it for other purposes with light loads. I have a CZ Drake O/U I started toting and it carried about as good and is pleasant to shoot with 2 3/4 or 3" double X and killed turkeys just as well as anything else. It may be heavier than the bantam, but is balanced well and I can tote it all day with no sling. I kept a turkey choke in the top cylinder and skeet choke in the bottom, so ready for close or further.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Just my two cents worth....I bought a Mossberg super bantam for the same purpose, but it is brutal with turkey loads. I say this as the owner of a 40 year old single shot 10 ga, which doesn't seem as bad. It is painful to pattern. Auto loader may help, but I would shoot one before I bought, if you can. I started to list it for sale last year, but grandkids can shoot it for other purposes with light loads. I have a CZ Drake O/U I started toting and it carried about as good and is pleasant to shoot with 2 3/4 or 3" double X and killed turkeys just as well as anything else. It may be heavier than the bantam, but is balanced well and I can tote it all day with no sling. I kept a turkey choke in the top cylinder and skeet choke in the bottom, so ready for close or further.
That’s the way I have my .410 O/U setup. With TSS it’s all one needs unless your looking for 50-60 yds. Everyone has preferences but an auto is more weight to carry for me when multiple shots are rare. I’m getting old, light is a good thing. A 20 O/U would be excellent.

Dupree

I have a weathering sa-459 I won at an nwtf banquet. If you are looking at setting the gun up strictly for turkeys, I’d give it a look. The trigger is horrible from the factory though, had to take it to a smith and get it filed down. I’ve had no issues once the trigger was set to 4 pounds instead of 10-12. IMG_2298.png

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
Currently shooting a Mossberg 500 20 guage but if I was in the market for an autoloader I would get the Mossberg SA-20 turkey. My buddy that's in a wheelchair has one and it is a sweet shooting lightweight gun.b706d7d4-3107-4417-bc01-e6c2d989dc48.jpg

Duff

Currently shooting a Mossberg 500 20 guage but if I was in the market for an autoloader I would get the Mossberg SA-20 turkey. My buddy that's in a wheelchair has one and it is a sweet shooting lightweight gun.View attachment 1285223
Thinking of getting one of these myself

Gator89

I'll second the Benelli M2 . Got one from GON adds few years ago . A PLEASURE TO CARRY .

I have shot 3 inch pheasant loads through my M2 20 in SoDaK with no problems cycling and never bothered by recoil either. I have busted a few gobblers with my M2 as well.

I will second what others have said, a 20 can weigh less than a 12 and the lighter weight can reduce the expected recoil reduction.

If recoil is a major concern, find a gas operated gun.

But for the few shots one expects to take on turkeys, an inertia gun should be fine. Heck, shoot 2.75 inch TSS instead of 3 inch.

Gator89

As I have said before, there are pages and pages of reading about small bore shotgun setups for turkey hunting on Gobbler Nation.

You don't have to join to read the threads.

Last edited:

OffTheBeatnPath

I’ve got a 20 gauge ultima I got on rebate for $750 I think. It’s a nice shooting gun and what I will be using from now on.
With that being said, IF you can spend the extra money the m2 is very hard to beat. I bought a 12 gauge m2 the year I graduated from high school for $850, wish I had bought a 20 too because it’s a great gun.
Those Stoeger 20 gauge intertia guns are basically a cheaper put together m2 and you can get one for about $600 I think

GADAWGS

I recently built a youth model 870 in 20ga. Sighted in with a dove load, buddy, that thing rattled my teeth on a turkey load:ROFLMAO:. Still going to carry it some, but I have a Franchi Affinity that will be my main gun. Like dupree, I had a SA459, and that trigger was terrible, even after getting it worked on by a gunsmith.