Short Walk in the Woods

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The spring wildflowers are starting to bloom now, it's a good time to get out, poke around in the woods and take a look around at all the ephemeral magic that happens in the few short weeks before the trees leaf out and steal all the sunlight.

Yellow sessile trillium:

yellowtrillium1.jpg

Showy orchid:

orchid.jpg
Dwarf crested Iris:

iris.jpg

Robin's plantain:

robins-plantain.jpg

Plenty of things that are interesting even without blooms, too.

Hepatica leaves:

hepatica.jpg

Ginseng:

ginseng.jpg

Squaw root is popping up everywhere:

squaw-root.jpg

Part of the remains of an old independent small business that used to manufacture and sell medicinal products:

stillfurnace.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty pictures!
Got any Ladies' Slippers?
Yeah, we have both pink and yellow. And showy in a couple of isolated populations. They haven't bloomed yet.

LOVEMYLABXS

Really nice shots NCH

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
We have plenty of the dwarf iris in stephens county. I see them on Lake russell WMA and surrounding natl. forest.

Nice shots!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Squaw root is a new one on me! Nice shots, thanks for sharing.
It's a parasitic plant that grows on beech and oak roots. Very common in the mountains here. I've always heard that bears eat it when they first come out of hibernation as a laxative to dislodge the fecal plug of sticks and leaves that they eat and form before denning up for the winter.

wvdawg

Staff member
Nice shots. It has greened up here quite a bit!

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
It's a parasitic plant that grows on beech and oak roots. Very common in the mountains here. I've always heard that bears eat it when they first come out of hibernation as a laxative to dislodge the fecal plug of sticks and leaves that they eat and form before denning up for the winter.
Head full of knowledge!

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Looks like a very enjoyable walk. I got a few places I want to go walk through, but got to wait for the water to go down.

GAJoe

A great collection of images! Thanks for posting.