Shrub ID

chrislibby88

Not sure what this is, but it’s in a lot of swamps where I hunt. Usually on the high ground where it doesn’t flood as often. Woody stem, bark similar to a blueberry and crape or wax myrtle. Leaves are tiny. Stays green. Most of it is chest to head high, some grows 10-15ft tall though. Grows in large patches along slough edges. Good deer cover, high stem count, and very noisy to bust through.

Is it sparkle berry? I’ve never noticed any fruit on it. But I don’t go on the properties (Wma’s) that have it in the early and mid summer.IMG_6996.jpegIMG_6997.jpeg

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
My seek app calls it a Mayberry. Kinda crazy it recognized it as fast as anything it’s recognized……..not sure I trust it though.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Not sure how to make it work, but on my wife’s iPhone, she can touch certain photos and it will give info on it. I’ve seen it a few times, but neither of us have it figured out yet.

krizia829

Not sure how to make it work, but on my wife’s iPhone, she can touch certain photos and it will give info on it. I’ve seen it a few times, but neither of us have it figured out yet.
open the picture on the phone, and click the little I on the bottom with the circle around it. Then click where it says "Look Up - Plant". This works for a bunch of things other than plants too! Always confirm it though. Sometimes it's wrong.

I work at a plant nursery and I've tested it with some of the palms we sell and it's pretty cool

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, looks like sparkleberry, except I usually find it on dry, almost xeric ridges.

P6smSKC

like others above said….Sparkle berry…some call it Farkleberry. Pinelog had a bunch of that in the area I used to hunt. They aren’t toxic but they are kinda dry and not as good as the wild highbush blueberries. The bears at pinelog seemed to eat them up though, judging from all the purple scat I would see up there.

bighonkinjeep

If using android go to photos and click on the picture. Then at the bottom click where it says " Lens ".

This will give you results from a photomatching internet search that can be used to ID darn near anything you take a picture of.

Last edited:

chrislibby88

open the picture on the phone, and click the little I on the bottom with the circle around it. Then click where it says "Look Up - Plant". This works for a bunch of things other than plants too! Always confirm it though. Sometimes it's wrong.

I work at a plant nursery and I've tested it with some of the palms we sell and it's pretty cool
Woah. I had no idea. This is gonna come in super handy.

It’s calling it blueberry, but after more looking I’m pretty sure it’s sparkle berry.

krizia829

It’s calling it blueberry, but after more looking I’m pretty sure it’s sparkle berry.
yeah it's always best to confirm with another source, but sometimes it'll give you the name of a similar variety. Should help at least narrow it down. We always learn something new with these smartphones lol

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist

Well sparkleberry is actually a type of blueberry, both are in the genus vaccinium.