Signal cannon

longbowdave1

Just trying to figure out a powder measure for a 4th o July noise maker. The caliber is .32, and the length of barrel is about 4 inches. No projectiles, just powder and some wading. I was thinking maybe 15 or 20 grains of loose BP substitute??? Just looking for a moderate bang, not rattling windows bang.

GeorgiaBob

If the "cannon" is solid and well built, you might be able to use up to 80 grains well tamped behind a patch wad. Anything over about 50 grains is going to burn in the smoke in front of the barrel, but that just adds to special effects.

obelix

150% amount of flour as powder charge directly on top of the charge, and then a slice of bread on top of that. Tamp it firmly (don't pound it). Makes a good boom with substitute powder. Substitute requires a good bit of compression to boom (as I've recently found out). Real GOEX black powder is much better.

Here is a VERY conservative chart for cannons and considered to be THE safe load go to chart.
https://www.fototime.com/703CC5D230DDCAA/large.jpg

You're probably around 50 grains to start out and go up from there.

Also make sure with your cannon to use 2F powder or maybe 3F. Larger particle size won't help you make much of a boom and just shoot fire out of the end.

Last edited:

longbowdave1

Would you fire this little cannon?

So when it gets real cold, and all the hunting comes to end, I tend to tinker with stuff to keep myself busy. Built this little conversation piece out of 1 inch diameter round stock, mild steel, not stainless. The barrel is about 5 1/2" long, bored out to .3125 for a depth of about 4 ". I was thinking of trying only 25 to 30 grain of loose black powder substitute. Not looking for a tremendous bang, just a little noise, and no projectiles.

Will it hold together?

Signal cannon.jpg

Last edited: