Skunk migration or something.

ghadarits

I’ve always noticed that a lot of skunks end up as road kill this time of year. Is it their mating season or are the migrating to greener pastures? I’m not talking about the skunks I smell at traffic lights in Atlanta I’m talking about real skunks in rural areas mainly north Georgia but I’ve seen it in South Georgia also.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Around here, it’s February and march.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Here in middle Georgia the mating season is in the February/March timeframe. I see them year round here I reckon because all the cattle farms.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I see 3-4 a year road killed where I live. Wonder what cattle farms have to do with them?
Cow piles have a lot of bugs around them and the skunks have learned to take advantage of them. Same thing around the feed troughs as the feed that gets dropped outside the troughs usually has meal worms in it.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Cow piles have a lot of bugs around them and the skunks have learned to take advantage of them. Same thing around the feed troughs as the feed that gets dropped outside the troughs usually has meal worms in it.

Same scenario with deer feeding stations.
Also spilled feed = rats and mice which attracts snakes.

sportsman94

I’m not sure if skunks disperse like beavers and coyotes and some other animals do, but it would make sense. So, My guess is dispersal of young ones into new territory

Hillbilly stalker

I always figured they were mating. One thing I have noticed is they get hit in the road at the same locations year after year. I’m starting to think they follow ditch lines. I know they are mostly nocturnal, but much as I stay in the woods, Ive never seen one in the woods. Only see them dead on the road.

2dye4

I always figured they were mating. One thing I have noticed is they get hit in the road at the same locations year after year. I’m starting to think they follow ditch lines. I know they are mostly nocturnal, but much as I stay in the woods, Ive never seen one in the woods. Only see them dead on the road.
Same here. I’ve only seen one live skunk and he was following a canal in broad daylight in Canada. Needless to say I let him have plenty of ground.

Doboy Dawg

I haven’t seen any around here in years. They used to be common here. I got skunked bad in a tobacco field when I was a teenager. We had a dog that used to follow us in the tobacco field. One day he chased a skunk back and forth in the rows of tobacco, got most all of us skunked that were topping and suckering. I remember my grandma making me bathe in tomato juice.