Smoked catfish

pop pop jones

I just rubbed mine down with oil, hit it with a little salt, pepper and a bit of bbq rub. I kept the temp down to around 200.flipped them once, after about 45 minutes. I kept using a fork on one until it wanted to pull apart, took them off and ate up. It's good on a taco.

cjones

I haven't tried making it myself, but there was a restaurant we used to go to growing up that had smoked catfish. IIRC, they did it in filets and not whole catfish like they did fried. After thinking about it, it makes sense - smaller filets cook through faster so you don't have to bombard it with smoke waiting for it to cook through. Seems like it was a pretty simple seasoning like these other guys mentioned - salt, pepper, and smoke. Good stuff!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of folks brine fish before smoking them.

little rascal

smoked fish is good

clean fish the way u like, whole skin on, filet's, butterflied, etc.
Then brine in salty water, I add brown sugar, blk pepper, thyme, allspice, etc.
Then after a good brine bath, longer is better. Take your fish out and pat dry.
Mix a 1/4 cup maple syrup, pinch of ginger, and 2 tbsp soy sauce for a basting sauce.
Start grill, put fish on indirect heat, and then every 15 minutes open grill and blot dry with paper towel and baste with maple syrple mix. Fish will flake easily when done. This is best on Salmon, Mullet, Trout etc.,(oily fishes). I have done it with white bass, hybrids, and spotted bass and it's all pretty good!
Here's some pics, the brine, the grill, and finished product.

Attachments