Some Dove Field Pics

ChattBuck

Sunflowers are showing off right now. Got the best stand of corn I've ever had. Bush hogged a path through the sunflowers last night so people could take some pics. Son immediately got on the golf cart and took some pics of his own.

Before I bush hogged that strip, I cut about 200 sunflowers from it and went all over town delivering them to friends and family. Brought a lot of smiles to peoples faces

Dove23LandonCornJuly10.jpgDove23SunsetJuly10.2.jpgDove23SunsetJuly10.3.jpgDove23GradyJuly10.jpg

ChattBuck

That is awesome. Bet the deer and dove are happy.

For the first time in five years of planting the deer have started to eat the tops of the sunflowers but only on the edges of the field.

They are REALLY going to like the corn left standing this fall. I'll cut about 2/3 of the corn for opening of dove season but the rest will be left standing. Deer hit it hard late Nov into Dec every year.

As for the dove, they seem to be VERY hit or miss every year.

ChattBuck

How big is the field? Did you apply a preemergent?
Field is 5 acres. Has about 3 acres of corn and 2 of sunflowers.

Roundupped the whole field 3-4 weeks prior to planting.

Pre emergent was dual magnum and Spartan.

Then I did Beyond when the plants were about 6 inches tall as a post emergent.

I've had a lot of last years millet coming back up in the sunflowers. I figure it's just more dove food so I'm not stressing it too bad.

rstallings1979

Field is 5 acres. Has about 3 acres of corn and 2 of sunflowers.

Roundupped the whole field 3-4 weeks prior to planting.

Pre emergent was dual magnum and Spartan.

Then I did Beyond when the plants were about 6 inches tall as a post emergent.

I've had a lot of last years millet coming back up in the sunflowers. I figure it's just more dove food so I'm not stressing it too bad.
Gotcha....I planted my first sunflower field this year on our place. Its turned out better than I expected. The Spartan really has kept the area clean. I didn't even use a post emergent. I got lucky with rain a few days after planting and applying the Spartan. I hear that is the key on the Spartan.

ChattBuck

Gotcha....I planted my first sunflower field this year on our place. Its turned out better than I expected. The Spartan really has kept the area clean. I didn't even use a post emergent. I got lucky with rain a few days after planting and applying the Spartan. I hear that is the key on the Spartan.

I've never really been able to keep my sunflower rows completely clean but the pre emergent definitely makes a difference.

Foster

That looks great and I always enjoy following your field progress. Thanks for taking the time and letting us follow along.

Redbow

Man that corn is great but the 1st picture with the sunflowers is stunning, well done sir.

Jim Boyd

All I can say is…..

WOW and WOW!

rstallings1979

Sunflowers are showing off right now. Got the best stand of corn I've ever had. Bush hogged a path through the sunflowers last night so people could take some pics. Son immediately got on the golf cart and took some pics of his own.

Before I bush hogged that strip, I cut about 200 sunflowers from it and went all over town delivering them to friends and family. Brought a lot of smiles to peoples faces

View attachment 1238787View attachment 1238788View attachment 1238790View attachment 1238791
What do you use for the final burn down? Gramoxone or Round up? I know roundup takes longer to work. Graxmoxone purchase would require a pesticide/herbicide license wouldn't it?