Songs that tear you apart

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Man there are some really good ones here. Good call with North Dakota, NC Hillbilly. One of Chris Knight's that always gets me is Love and a 45. Also the verse in Hard Edges about the little girl. It makes.me think about my daughter.

Just off the top of my head, Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground by Willie.

The Year Clayton Delaney Died or Old Dogs and Children by Tom T. Hall.

Panbowl by Sturgil Simpson.

Old Before My Time by The Allman Bros.

I could name a bunch.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Only names that I can put on a list to replace the Possum's list time has past as well. Country Music is on its last leg.

Sturgill Simpson, Whitey Morgan, Cody Jinks, Tyler Childers, Zephaniah Ohora, The Turnpike Troubadours.

Go listen to them and see if you still think so. Country, real country, is probably in better shape now than its been in a long time.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Sturgill Simpson, Whitey Morgan, Cody Jinks, Tyler Childers, Zephaniah Ohora, The Turnpike Troubadours.

Go listen to them and see if you still think so. Country, real country, is probably in better shape now than its been in a long time.

Don't want to hijack the thread. There are good singers out there but the music is changing. Like I said I like listening to Don Williams. Throw in some Vern Gosdin, Gene Watson, Alan Jackson and even further back than that.

Country music started dying when the put Glenn Campbell and Barbra Mandrell on television. But then I am old.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Ain't no tear jerker but I do like to listen to Don Williams.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Yep, that one always hits home.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

You forgot Jamie, Shooter, and some of Chris Stapleton's stuff.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Don't want to hijack the thread. There are good singers out there but the music is changing. Like I said I like listening to Don Williams. Throw in some Vern Gosdin, Gene Watson, Alan Jackson and even further back than that.

Country music started dying when the put Glenn Campbell and Barbra Mandrell on television. But then I am old.
I don't consider Glen Campbell or Barbara Mandrell either one to be country music. They were just the early pop "country" versions of the stuff they play on the radio today. The stuff that Waylon and Willie fought against. Get off the mainstream radio, and there is still plenty of real country out there.

biggdogg

Cole Swindell "You Should be Here" and either version of "Gone Away" by The Offspring or Five Finger Death Punch. Lost my very best friend in 2013 to brain cancer. Both songs lyrics tear me apart, although the 5FDP cover of Gone Away hits me the hardest. Can't listen to either without coming to tears.

Jim Baker

Staff member
I don't consider Glen Campbell or Barbara Mandrell either one to be country music. They were just the early pop "country" versions of the stuff they play on the radio today. The stuff that Waylon and Willie fought against. Get off the mainstream radio, and there is still plenty of real country out there.

ThaT is my point. Campbell and Mandrell weren't country but they were put on television as Country. And if it is on TV it must be true.

I listen to sirrus radio. Willie's Road house and Bluegrass Junction mostly.
If you look a the Country Top 40 list you won't find anything that George Jones or Alan Jackson would tape. The music has just changed. That said, they were standing in the aisles when Jones was buried. There won't even be a footnote in the Tennessean for the likes of Luke Bryan and Jason Aldean.

I will leave it there.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
ThaT is my point. Campbell and Mandrell weren't country but they were put on television as Country. And if it is on TV it must be true.

If you look a the Country Top 40 list you won't find anything that George Jones or Alan Jackson would tape. The music has just changed. That said, they were standing in the aisles when Jones was buried. There won't even be a footnote in the Tennessean for the likes of Luke Bryan and Jason Aldean.

I will leave it there.
Turn it up one channel past Willie's Roadhouse to Outlaw Country. None of that pop stuff on there. I like me some Bluegrass Junction too. :cheers:

Jim Baker

Staff member
To put this thread back on the rails. Did anyone mention this one

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

turkeykirk

Speaking of Glen Campbell his last song about having Alzheimer’s is a tear jerker.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon

I will leave it there.

Now you're talking, BUT I have heard some stuff on it that I'm not quiet sure what it was

shdw633

Live like you were dying.....Tim McGraw
Dreams....Van Halen
Cats in the cradle....Harry Chapin

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I dreamed about momma last night by Hank Williams