Sous Vide

paulito

IF your guys haven't tried it......its almost like cheating. Knocked out a beef tenderloin on Xmas nite. Got a quick sear on the stove in a hot pan. Olive oil and spices. Vacuum sealed it with some garlic butter and dropped in the pot of water with the sous vide at 130. 2.5 hours later, I took it out and thru it on a hot grill to get a second sear (less than 3-4 minutes). When sliced the loin was medium rare all the way thru except for that outer ring of seared goodness. So tender.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I've got an Anova cooker. Works great on cuts that need either precise temp or a long cook. My 2 favorites are lollipop lamb chops (full 8-bone rack)...'soak' it (that's for you, NCH) in 120 degree water for 4 hours, then onto the Akorn for some smoke and sear; and beef short ribs...cook for 24 hrs at 175, then in the oven on some foil to carmelize your favorite sauce onto them....no knives needed.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
At least not enough for me to go to the expense of acquiring and using my own.

Mine was a gift. Don't know that I'da bought one on my own. I've used it for steaks, but it's a lot of work/time/effort vs. firing up the akorn for a decent cut of steak.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Mercy, give the guy a break. Just because it has a french name on it don't mean it's all bad! The french gave us lots of good stuff like, um..., well..., they did come up with the best side of the road to drive on. Anyway, carry on...:bounce:

specialk

i got one for fathers day a couple years ago and never used it....keep saying i am but never have....

pop pop jones

Mercy, give the guy a break. Just because it has a french name on it don't mean it's all bad! The french gave us lots of good stuff like, um..., well..., they did come up with the best side of the road to drive on. Anyway, carry on...:bounce:
Lol glad you didn't say french fries

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Just tried the instapot on some wings and steak after.
Good God what is this thing. 20 minutes anything is medium but Perfectly delicious.

Tight Lines

Love my Anova and cooking sous vide. Great for meats and have done a couple of venison tenderloins with it...best steaks you'll ever have...get them to medium rare then either hit 'em with the cast iron skillet or the BGE to sear/smoke them...awesome...

paulito

Naw, won't hurt my feelings. Mine was a gift as well. Have used it 3-4 times in the 2+ years i've had it. Just another tool in the cooking toolbox. Thus far it has been foolproof. I learned about it from a buddy of mine that uses it for big meals for our military appreciation hunt events. He can have huge amounts of meat cooking while he is preparing everything else and all the meat comes out the exact same "doneness". Just a way of simplifying things for us.

Tight Lines

That method of cooking, must have been started, by some guy that sucked at grilling, smoking or frying. He was used to boiling his ribs first too.?

Interestingly enough it was a physicist who was interested in the thermodynamics of food. The French have used sous vide for a long time...

I used to design and sell large scale food production equipment and sous vide is one of the ways that large scale food is produced. Think units for prisons, schools, military, convention centers, cruise ships, etc.

I could get into the thermodynamics and heat transfer of it but the basic principal is that low and slow, whether cooking on a smoker or in water, is better for the flavor profile of food. Water has great thermal conductivity properties and does not fluctuate as much as air temperatures which have poor thermal conductivity. Circulating water can be controlled very precisely and there is no air or evaporation stripping moisture off the food.

Try a 1.5" bone in ribeye some time...put salt, pepper, butter, rosemary and peppercorns in a bag and seal it...cook until medium rare then throw it in a cast iron skillet for 2-3 minutes per side and then let it rest with a dollop of butter on top...

It is also good for lesser cuts of meat, since the longer cook time breaks down some of the fibers and toughness of the meat...

This is a basic CostCo t-bone, not the best or most expensive, that turned out great...the fries, are fried... :)

Like someone said, it is just another tool...but between the BGE, InstaPot, Anova Sous Vide, and the cast iron skillets...that is our go to for either easy / good meals...

1609258042545.jpeg

Last edited:

jigman29

I love mine. I am very anal about my food tasting the same from start to finish and the souse vide gives me that consistency. I use mine on steaks often and will continue.
Another good use is at my daughters wedding I ran it in a big cooler and put the bags od pre cooked items in it to keep them warm for refilling dishes and such. Wroked great for that

pop pop jones

My wife tells me all the time, she doesn't think most people get my since of humor. Then you take the face to face away from it, makes things worse.

If I had a controller for my pots, I'd boil my steaks and ribs. I see nothing wrong with trying to improve what we cook. I just enjoy pushing buttons once in a while.

WayneB

you ain't tried scrambled aigs in the sous vide yet?
chives, butter and eggs, whipped and sealed in a bag, 15-20 minutes on 160F and ya done did.
I've done several briskets sous vide for 10 hours, then 4 hours in smoker at 175F spritzing with apple juice about every 15 minutes. Absolutely perfect.

sbroadwell

I got one for a gift too. No way I would spend that much money on something untried.
But, I like it. Does a great job on steak, you can have it rare all the way through. Last Christmas we did a prime rib, then seared with a torch.
You can buy the cheapest chuck roast, do it at about 120 F for 12-20 hours, and it comes out fork tender.

Bream Pole

Got one for my Christmas. I have eaten prime rim etc at my son's house who uses it often. very good. my purpose is to vacuum seal and put in freezer. then souse vide without having to take out and thaw. Go straight from freezer to cook. Searing in skillet or on BGE is easy.