Souse recipes?

Artfuldodger

I ate some homemade souse a co-worker got from and old Black lady. It was so good, nice vinegar taste and heat balance. This was a few years ago and I'm now retired.

I have tried a few store brands and even some from meat markets. They were more of a dry lunch meat product. Not bad but the one the lady made was more pate like. Just a little wetter and more vinegar.
You could still slice it but it was softer. The chunks were smaller and more tender. The store ones had dryer meat part chunks and even the gelatin was harder.

Artfuldodger

I've decided that in order to get what I want, I'm going to have to experiment and make it myself. I know we've had a few discussions on Head Cheese and Souse and I did look back at those. I didn't really see a lot of recipes though.
I was thinking of using trotters and maybe a bit of a Boston Butt.

I may use this recipe on this thread and tweak it if needed. It looks about as close as what I'm looking for. Lots of vinegar and the vinegar in the boiling water will help draw out the gelatin and collagen.

RobRay's recipe;

https://forum.gon.com/threads/home-made-hog-head-cheese.667211/

Artfuldodger

I want to end up with a loaf that looks more like this texture;
Bourgeois_Meat_Market_-_THB_-160_800x534__21198.1555335799.jpg

oldways

I use to make at the fire house with a good friend of mine who has pasted on this is his recipe. 1 hog head 4 feet 1 Boston butt boil it off the bone with salt and pepper. De-bone and chop we would add sage and red pepper to it now and mix it up run it through a hand grinder and into a bowl. add pepper sauce like you would use on greens press it in a couple of loaf pans or put it in a clean pillow case and twist it to get the grease out cool and slice on soda crackers. I haven't made it in many years. may have to make me a batch up good luck and I hope this helps out.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've decided that in order to get what I want, I'm going to have to experiment and make it myself. I know we've had a few discussions on Head Cheese and Souse and I did look back at those. I didn't really see a lot of recipes though.
I was thinking of using trotters and maybe a bit of a Boston Butt.

I may use this recipe on this thread and tweak it if needed. It looks about as close as what I'm looking for. Lots of vinegar and the vinegar in the boiling water will help draw out the gelatin and collagen.

RobRay's recipe;

https://forum.gon.com/threads/home-made-hog-head-cheese.667211/
Grandma and mom used to make it every year when I was growing up. THe process in that recipe is about right on, but the seasonings are off from the southern version I remember. Sage and red pepper were the dominant spices in the version that everybody made around here, instead of the garlic and celery and stuff.

Redbow

I haven't eaten home made souse meat in many years. My Grandmother made the best I have ever eaten wish I had her recipe.. Neese's souse meat isn't bad I eat it pretty often..

Artfuldodger

Grandma and mom used to make it every year when I was growing up. THe process in that recipe is about right on, but the seasonings are off from the southern version I remember. Sage and red pepper were the dominant spices in the version that everybody made around here, instead of the garlic and celery and stuff.
I would just put celery, etc. in the boil. Then take them out. I do like the sage and red pepper idea and could add in during the grind. I don't think I want any veggies left in when I grind and loaf it. Just sage, red pepper flakes, and maybe a bit more vinegar. Plus the broth to make it gel.