Spine question

James12

I’ve posted this elsewhere, hoping someone here might can advise on their thoughts too.

On most spine charts I’m right on the cusp (340/300 on the Gold Tip Chart). Meaning if I select 27” vs. 28” arrows my spine changes (I shoot 27.5”).

Anyways, I’ve always shot the mid 300 spine pending the arrow (most recently the 330s on the Hexxs for instance).

What are the advantages to staying there or should I switch to a 300 spine?

My setup is….

63lb
27.5” arrow
430ish grains (150ish up front with insert & BH)

School me please. I have to switch from the Hexxs since they’re now done…

ddd-shooter

Short answer: it’s hard to be over spined enough to affect accuracy.
The same is not true with too weak of a spine.
You have a lot of weight up front, I’d go lower.
If you ever decide to pull more weight, you’ll be good going lower as well.

Ihunt

One year I shot a 300 spine arrow cut to 28” out of a 51lb bow. It had standard inserts but did have a 175 grain German Kinetic on the front.

In the compound world, I really don’t think you can have too stiff of a spine. I’ve been able to get those Muzzy Gator arrows to fly straight out of 40lb bows and they’re almost blue rebar.

jbogg

Short answer: it’s hard to be over spined enough to affect accuracy.
The same is not true with too weak of a spine.
You have a lot of weight up front, I’d go lower.
If you ever decide to pull more weight, you’ll be good going lower as well on game.

That’s interesting, and what I have also found to be true. I started shooting a traditional bow this fall, and my Easton Carbon Legacy 500s are shooting the same as my 600s. While the point of impact is the same, I do believe the 600s which the chart say is the correct spine have better flight, and are likely striking the target straight on more consistently which means everything when it comes to penetration.

uturn

I was pretty much the same for years…I liked to shoot rebar stiff spines but I few years ago one of the best archers I know confidenced me to lighten up on my spine a bit and my arrow flight and accuracy improved…would have never confidenced me of that years ago!!

Hunter922

Essentially the same scenario for me.
Slinging GT -velocity pro 340's for the last 5-6 years.. Love these arrows.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I’m using the 350s from Walmart w/100gr inserts and BHs. I’m only pulling 53# so I wonder how much velocity m losing. Th 500s are all over the place, but nothing in between them. I think they’re 26.5”