Stabilizing fixed heads

Ihunt

Killing time before church. Going to make a short story kind of long.

I recently bought 2 Obsession Phoenix bows. They are both 60lbs. and 28.5" draw. 2014 models if it matters.

Last year I switched over to Anarchy single bevel heads. I ordered some 1 1/4" and some 1 1/2" heads to try. I was able to shoot the 1 1/4" out of my Delta 6 but could not get the 1 1/2" to fly correctly.

Both of my Phoenix's are set up the same except 1 has a Quad and the other has a Whisker Biscuit. Didn't see the point of dropping that much $$$$$ on a backup bows rest.

Arrows are Goldtip Velocity in 300 spine and the yellow pro in 340 spine. Some have a brass insert and some don't. This was to see if one flew/performed better than the others.

Vanes! Blazers did ok with the 1 1/4" but not with the 1 1/2". In addition to not stabilizing the 1 1/2" the Blazers are noisy.

Next, I tried 4" Easton vanes. Horrible! Didn't work with either the 1 1/4" or the 1 1/2".

So I got on Archery Talk and everyone raved on 3" Vanetec Super Spine. Imo they are no better than anything else. Actually worse for accuracy but quieter.

Now, both bows are tuned. Both shoot a bareshaft and a field tip the same POI at 20 yards. So what to do?

I had a Ramcat and a few other heads sitting around and figured I would try them. Same results. I've never had a problem with Ramcats so I tried a Swacker and a Rage. Of course, both flew great.

Now, I'm not a mechanical hater but I wanted to shoot my 1 1/2" Anarchy. You know how it is. My mind was made up. But wait, I had a few feathers I hadn't tried.

I fletched up 3 arrows with the feathers. A 340 spine and two 300 spines. One of the 300s had a brass insert and one had an aluminum. The weight of the arrows is 382,400, and 420. Now to shoot.

All three arrows flew true. With my shooting skills, the 382 and the 400 had virtually the same poi at 50 while the 420 had a few inches of drop. I'm sure a better shooter could tell a bigger difference but I can not.

My point, as if we didn't know, is feathers are the bomb for stabilizing arrows with fixed heads. You do not have to shoot mechanicals if you are willing to experiment and try new things. Nothing wrong with mechanicals but they do not and never will penetrate like a fixed head.

Ok, long post before church is over. Could have summed it up like this. Did lots of testing. Feathers were the only thing that could stabilize my broadheads. Tried 3 different vanes.

Last edited:

fountain

I'd look at arrows first. You could possibly be over spined. The 340 would be my first choice, unless the 300s all have brass inserts.

I see it says you bare shaft tuned. Any clearance issues anywhere with the vanes or possibly even broadhead contact on the riser?

Did you try and standard 3.5 or 4 " vane any?

Ihunt

No clearance issues. I thought about the spine issue but have never had major issues with a stiff spine. I was going to shoot a 400 spine today but it was just too hot.

Kris87

I don't find it possible for a bareshaft to shoot true and a Ramcat to fly a stray. No way.

Grey Man

So four inch vanes didn't work but four inch feathers did? This is beyond my limited understanding, but it's very interesting.

bwbb88

Not sure if this is the problem but I was having trouble getting my mussy 3 blade fixed heads to fly right. My field tips were on the money. A local bow tech told me I had to tune my vanes to my broadhead. Never did try it but I have heard the same thing many times since. Blazers are my favorite by the way

Ihunt

I don't find it possible for a bareshaft to shoot true and a Ramcat to fly a stray. No way.

Kris,
I agree. That's why I tried the Ramcat. Now it had been flopping around in my bow box for a couple of years so maybe that had something to do with it. All I know is I can now shoot my 1 1/2" fixed heads. I was very close to tossing my hands up and just shooting a mechanical.

Ihunt

So four inch vanes didn't work but four inch feathers did? This is beyond my limited understanding, but it's very interesting.

Actually it was 4 inch vanes and 3 inch feathers. Now, I am no expert tuning bows so I am sure something is amiss. The confusing part is it will shoot a bareshaft. I actually expected the bareshaft to go zooming somewhere. This is with 2 different bows.

Ihunt

I wish I lived closer to some of you bow gurus.

Hunter922

Shot Ramcats and Slick tricks this year through my PSE Decree IC and both are darts. Exact POI as my field points.

kiltman

I tried the 3 blade Muzzy also. I didn't want to re-tune my bow just for a broadhead. When to Ramcats and Bipolars.