Sprayer - Boomless or Boom?

Bucaramus

I have a Fimco 45 gallon UTV sprayer. I've already sprayed this year but I find that the nozzles are not all that great. I had 1 brand new one that the diaphragm leaked bad. The tank, pump and spot sprayer are all fine. What kind of nozzles should I give a shot?

earlthegoat2

Boomless are good for certain applications and not so good for others.

Are the products you are using contact or Translocate or root absorption type chemicals?

You really need booms and fan or cone nozzles for contact but boomless or cluster nozzles could be used for the other types.

Booms and fan nozzles are pretty versatile for most applications if you can endure the headache and lack of maneuverability and level of attentiveness they require.

Maybe upgrade to a higher quality nozzle/holder and plumbing.

BriarPatch99

Tee Jet nozzles work just fine for me... I have several different types, the one I use most produces a flat 110° (or close) pattern...
Two nozzles cover 80" pretty good ... my tank is only 25 gallons ...

Last edited:

Bucaramus

Boomless are good for certain applications and not so good for others.

Are the products you are using contact or Translocate or root absorption type chemicals?

You really need booms and fan or cone nozzles for contact but boomless or cluster nozzles could be used for the other types.

Booms and fan nozzles are pretty versatile for most applications if you can endure the headache and lack of maneuverability and level of attentiveness they require.

Maybe upgrade to a higher quality nozzle/holder and plumbing.
Translocate I believe. Glyphosate, 24DB, Clethodim...The Fimco nozzles do not produce a decent pattern at all. Was looking at a Black Rain but just not sure yet.

sghoghunter

This isn’t the exact nozzle I use but it’s the same type of nozzle. Sitting on the back of my golfcart or four wheeler this one nozzle will cover 8 foot. I only use it when we spray food plots before we plant

Attachments

• IMG_2666.png
    IMG_2666.png
    237.8 KB · Views: 8

Bucaramus

This isn’t the exact nozzle I use but it’s the same type of nozzle. Sitting on the back of my golfcart or four wheeler this one nozzle will cover 8 foot. I only use it when we spray food plots before we plant
That's all I use my sprayer for is plots. I'm just looking for something with a better spray pattern and also less drift. Something I noticed with the boomless is that it's really hard to tell what's been sprayed and what hasn't. I haven't tried the red dye yet but have used the blue. It doesn't show up good on foliage. At least not for me. But it sure makes a heck of a mess of your equipment!

sghoghunter

That's all I use my sprayer for is plots. I'm just looking for something with a better spray pattern and also less drift. Something I noticed with the boomless is that it's really hard to tell what's been sprayed and what hasn't. I haven't tried the red dye yet but have used the blue. It doesn't show up good on foliage. At least not for me. But it sure makes a heck of a mess of your equipment!

The way I figured out the spray area is I parked my four wheeler on a paved road and sprayed water only. I then found out it sprays around two feet on each side so then when I spray a strip I turn around and stay around four to five feet off the previous tracks and keep doing that till it’s all sprayed. On plots it doesn’t matter if it overlaps a little bit

Bucaramus

The way I figured out the spray area is I parked my four wheeler on a paved road and sprayed water only. I then found out it sprays around two feet on each side so then when I spray a strip I turn around and stay around four to five feet off the previous tracks and keep doing that till it’s all sprayed. On plots it doesn’t matter if it overlaps a little bit
I did that with mine as well to calibrate it. But the initial spray pattern on the asphalt was not at all good and even coverage.