Spraying of previously cleared land?

zaraspook04

I cleared 8 acres of land in May of last year. It has grown back with small woody plants like holly, Sweetgum, blackberries, wild grapes, etc. I am going to cut it back with my rotary mower and then spray it. What would be the best combination of herbicides to kill what's currently out there? I was thinking a combination of glysophate and 24d. Once I get "things" somewhat under control in this 8 acres, my plans are to put in peas followed by cereal grains in the fall.

Is there a better chemical recipe than gly and 24d? I do appreciate the help and advice!

zaraspook04

@doomtrpr_z71 Thanks for the help and advice.

If I get a good initial burn, I’m going to harrow it every couple weeks to break up the soil. Even though I ran through it with a dozer with root rake, there is still some leftover stuff to pick up.

If we have decent rain, my plans are to plant mid July.

doomtrpr_z71

Personally if you go the 24d + glyphosate direction I would add a PPO with it like ET or Reviton, ET would be cheaper but it's still $80 a gallon or so but the rate is 1-2oz an acre.

Long Cut

@doomtrpr_z71 Thanks for the help and advice.

If I get a good initial burn, I’m going to harrow it every couple weeks to break up the soil. Even though I ran through it with a dozer with root rake, there is still some leftover stuff to pick up.

If we have decent rain, my plans are to plant mid July.

Just understand the more soil disturbance, the more weeds you will have to overcome. I’d do all the soil disturbance first, then spray and wait to plant personally if time & weather allows.

zaraspook04

@Long Cut Thanks for the advice.

I cleared it in April of last year. Unfortunately, I got behind and it has somewhat grown back in. There is nothing there my brush hog can't handle. It needs to be cut first and then sprayed/burned down. I can keep the new stuff in check with my harrow.

zaraspook04

@mattb78 My oldest son and I cleared with an excavator and dozer. We thoroughly raked it and got all the stumps out.

To give some context...The land was clear cut 8-10 years ago by the lady I purchased from. She did not plant anything back. So. there was 8-10 years of growth of sweet-gum, wild grapes, blackberries, holly, etc. It was so dang thick you could hardly walk through it!