Springfield is finally listening, they’re bringing back the TRP 1911’s

Dub

Yeah, $2k seems like a price point where you could walk away with two pretty dang good 1911s.

Whatdya think @Dub ?

I have an older TRP (Armory Kote non-rail model).
It is a solid 1911, however, there is nothing about it that demonstrates it is anything other than a standard production gun with a few features.

I really like the coarse 20 lpi checkering.

It's been a good gun, but could use some trigger work and new sights. The night sights that came on it were terrible choices as are the night sights on my Loaded .45 model. I'll get around to swapping them at some point.

You mentioned a $2K amount.......in my experience, I'd be putting $2K towards a new Les Baer. My two cents, anyway.

Dub

Just watched a video review of these by 10-8 Performance.

Can‘t link it due to language, but, as usual, he is thorough.

One thing that was glaringly evident is these are stuffed full of MIM & cast parts which may not bother some buyers.

Robert28

Just watched a video review of these by 10-8 Performance.

Can‘t link it due to language, but, as usual, he is thorough.

One thing that was glaringly evident is these are stuffed full of MIM & cast parts which may not bother some buyers.
Yeah Springfield has been doing MIM for awhile now. I think the only way to avoid them these days is to go fully custom.

Reactions: Dub

Robert28

(y)

Many semi-custom shops avoid MIM (Dan Wesson, for example).
Yeah I think Dan Wesson is where you start to get away from any MIM parts. My MK4 Colt doesn’t have any mim parts that I’m aware of but I know the new colts do.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

Yeah I think Dan Wesson is where you start to get away from any MIM parts. My MK4 Colt doesn’t have any mim parts that I’m aware of but I know the new colts do.

I'm sure I have MIM in a few of my gats.

It's imposible for a manufacturer to avoid using such in efforts to remain competitive with their costs.

Also, the MIM can be formed in "drop-in" dimensions that fall within acceptable tolerances. Manufacturers are able to assemble without much delay on fitting.

The parts likely perform well in most applications.

I look at it as something to replace at some point....and factor that into the initial cost of the pistola. A $1,000 1911 that is full of MIM....in my mind, at least, will cost the initial $1,000 + new internals.

Do I need those tool steel internals ? Probably not.
Heck, do I really need the new pistola ? Probably not. :rofl:

It's just a way I evaluate the initial cost of a gun that may one day be used as a self defense daily carry piece.

I'm not a ninja doing ninja stuff......just a middle-aged dude who buys 'em to shoot heavily and rely on. The only parts I want to change are keeping fresh springs & sights.

Robert28

I'm sure I have MIM in a few of my gats.

It's imposible for a manufacturer to avoid using such in efforts to remain competitive with their costs.

Also, the MIM can be formed in "drop-in" dimensions that fall within acceptable tolerances. Manufacturers are able to assemble without much delay on fitting.

The parts likely perform well in most applications.

I look at it as something to replace at some point....and factor that into the initial cost of the pistola. A $1,000 1911 that is full of MIM....in my mind, at least, will cost the initial $1,000 + new internals.

Do I need those tool steel internals ? Probably not.
Heck, do I really need the new pistola ? Probably not. :rofl:

It's just a way I evaluate the initial cost of a gun that may one day be used as a self defense daily carry piece.

I'm not a ninja doing ninja stuff......just a middle-aged dude who buys 'em to shoot heavily and rely on. The only parts I want to change are keeping fresh springs & sights.
Yeah I’m fine with a few mim parts like the hammer (which I know Colt is doing these days) and I think some trigger parts. What I won’t tolerate is a plastic….excuse me, “nylon” mainspring housing cover. No excuse not to add the metal part for $30. Kimber started that mess and others followed behind them.