Squirrel hunting in the Kennesaw area

Bryceog

Hello. I am interested in going on my first ever hunt. I completed hunter's Ed, got my license, and bought a dinky 22. I plan on going to either Pine Log, Allatoona, Mcgraw Ford, or Paulding Forest WMAs. I don't have high expectations but at least seeing some tree rats would be nice. Any insight where I may have the most success and any other tips are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Anvil Head

Look for mature pine hardwood mix. Find well worn deer trails to move on (they are used to deer traveling these routes and quieter). Hunt into the wind, they have excellent noses, how they find buried nuts. Move like molasses and keep eyes and ears open. Aim small hit small is an important saying.

ABOVE ALL - KNOW What's behind your target!!!

sb1010

I've taken squirrels at Allatoona, Paulding, and Pine Log. I have never hunted McGraw Ford for squirrels.

Go on a day with little or no wind. You can hear the squirrels moving around better,

Go early in the morning or just before sunset. They are most active then.

They like hardwood food sources acorns and hickories. Look for those kinds of trees.

If you sit still 15-30 minutes squirrels may come out if you are somewhere they want to be.

You might want to just scout around the WMA in the afternoon, look for acorns that have been broken etc, then seriously hunt the last hour before sunset.

Stormer14

McGraw Ford is usually loaded with squirrels. Walk the old roads along the river.

Pretty new squirrel hunter here. Planning on trying McGraw Ford over the next couple weeks. When you say walk the roads, are you actually walking and watching the trees? Or are you walking, sitting 30 min, walking some more, sit 30 min, etc? I’ve seen people saying they do both methods

Bowyer29

Pretty new squirrel hunter here. Planning on trying McGraw Ford over the next couple weeks. When you say walk the roads, are you actually walking and watching the trees? Or are you walking, sitting 30 min, walking some more, sit 30 min, etc? I’ve seen people saying they do both methods
Either/or should work. Warm days right now should be best. Food is the key, they will be out feeding on warmer days

Bryceog

2nd time out since I posted this: Spent 1.5hrs out at Allatoona WMA. I’d walk quietly until I saw what I thought to be a nice spot, a mix of pines and other miscellaneous trees (presumably nut bearing like oaks). I’d sit still for about 15 minutes and then would move to the next spot. Only saw one squirrel momentarily and posted up next to a tree hoping he’d come back. Nothing. A little disheartening but I bet with some more time out I’ll be on ‘em soon enough.

Hillbilly stalker

They are not getting far from their dens right now. The sows are bred and either are carrying young...or nursing young in the den. Start on a sunlit hillside where they are lots of holes, they love to sunbath when it gets colder weather. Often later in the morning. Good luck.

Bryceog

They are not getting far from their dens right now. The sows are bred and either are carrying young...or nursing young in the den. Start on a sunlit hillside where they are lots of holes, they love to sunbath when it gets colder weather. Often later in the morning. Good luck.
So they’re not spending much time in trees? The one I saw was on the ground cresting a hill.

sb1010

I see more on the ground this time of year. Also I see more in Fall and early winter than now.

However some years it picks up some towards the end of the season.

Hillbilly stalker

So they’re not spending much time in trees? The one I saw was on the ground cresting a hill.
The only thing in the trees for them now is their dens and nests. Here in a couple weeks, when we have had several days of consecutive sunshine, if you will notice the smaller trees will start to have green buds. When that happens, they will feed on them heavily. Right now , unless startled, most are on the ground checking their caches, and stealing others. You are only hunting half the population right now because most sows are nesting. A boar squirrel will travel looking for a sow. I killed 12 the other day and 9 were boars.

Bryceog

The only thing in the trees for them now is their dens and nests. Here in a couple weeks, when we have had several days of consecutive sunshine, if you will notice the smaller trees will start to have green buds. When that happens, they will feed on them heavily. Right now , unless startled, most are on the ground checking their caches, and stealing others. You are only hunting half the population right now because most sows are nesting. A boar squirrel will travel looking for a sow. I killed 12 the other day and 9 were boars.
This was very helpful. Thank you!

hambone76

Yeah, den trees will be the ticket right now. I also like to walk in the washouts in the middle of a creek bottom. Rain will clear the leaves out of them and make for some quiet walking.

If you are sitting for 15 minutes in areas where there’s dens or sign and aren’t seeing squirrels, try sitting a little longer. You might be getting up and moving before they settle down and get back to what they were doing before you disturbed them.