Best hunt I've had

sprewett

Due to a turn of events I got to take an unexpected hunting day today. Honestly, I didn't have much expectation due to the fact that it was a full moon last night but nonetheless I was looking forward to a restful day and enjoying God's beautiful creation.
My dad owns a small amount of property in Paulding County that I have been hunting some this year. I arrived about 30 minutes before legal shooting light because I wanted to maximize my time by being settle in to the old two man ladder stand before something came walking through the hardwood bottom. Just after day light the woods came to life. Squirrels were running everywhere I believe it would have been less noisy had I invited a Chinese marching band. Approximately one hour after shooting light had something which was not a squirrel coming through the thicket, but there is a contractor building a custom home next to the property and he drove down his driveway and off ran the deer. I kinda half way thought well this hunt isn't going to amount to much in regards to seeing deer so I just enjoyed the sights and sounds of the woods.
For several hours not much had been going on and the wind shifted blowing on my back. I was thinking I should just get down because a deer would have to be nose blind to come in now and it was about 1. I was taking another quick glance before heading off and I saw three does headed in on the edge of pines and hardwoods. I felt my heartbeat pick up and immediately began pounding with the anticipation of getting to sling some lead at a freezer queen. I started to try and calm myself and go through the process of squeezing not jerking the trigger and watching contact through the scope. The deer were at the very edge of my dad's property and I wasn't completely sure if they were across or not so I didn't take the shot. I watched them for 5 hours they bedded down a total of three times eating while bedding. Turns out there were 6 not three because I finally had to get rid of some coffee either let it fly or in my drawers. So I stood up slowly even with em looking my way, nothing! I let it fly then stood there for a minute, nothing! Went to zip my jacket back up slowly and all flagged and took off. I thought welp there went that they flagged they are gone. I had convinced myself I mine as well stay till dark now anyway with it being this close. Within 3 minutes of them flagging they returned but never offered me a shot. It was ALOT of fun watching them, seeing how they walk so quietly, sniffing and licking the air, and grooming themselves. I suppose they were still there when I climbed down. What a hunt and I didn't even fire a shot..

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
No deer seen today, but had an awesome hunt as well. Had a barred owl up a tall pine just behind me start hooting about 30 minutes before dark. Never even knew he was there till he started hooting. Kind of startled me at first. :bounce: By the time I climbed down and put my climber together to leave, it was dark. Took a cool shot leaving out tonight. A little grainy, but what a view walking across that large cutover. I stood there a few minutes, just taking it all in. It's a blessing to be able to get out there and enjoy the woods!

MoonSwamp  (2).JPG

Geffellz18

Yes sir-Great hunt indeed! Thanks for sharing.
Had a similar experience the day after Christmas at a buddies place-Posted in the Random Cell Thread…Was a hunt to cull does, but ended up being an evening of mostly Bucks with 2 yearling does-One was a NICE tall brow tined 8pt that would have been my biggest by far, if taken.
Instead, like you I just had a very enjoyable time just watching all the deer doing their thing & interacting with each other unknowing they were being watched. Watched the show for about 2 hours & left them all in the field as we eased out.
One of my most memorable hunts!

GeorgeShu

Last evening had a pretty neat experience. Sitting over a clover plot with hardwoods at my back. Pretty quiet until last 15 minutes of light. A little spike buck, 3” horns wanders into plot from a fire break along the hardwoods. He stops taking a bite or two and soon joined by a cow horn spike, maybe 10” long. A minute later his twin brother enters and the two cow horns start sparring, clattering little horns and playful pushing and shoving. Little guy joins in and spars with each of the bigger boys. Each seemingly being careful not to hurt each other. Soon a 4th buck enters a young little basket rack 8 ptr. He joins in and now I have a 4 deer mock fight going. Each deer has a short go with the other 3. This lasts couple of minutes and then they settle to serious eating. 30 yards in front, ring side seat!

Jim Boyd

Last evening had a pretty neat experience. Sitting over a clover plot with hardwoods at my back. Pretty quiet until last 15 minutes of light. A little spike buck, 3” horns wanders into plot from a fire break along the hardwoods. He stops taking a bite or two and soon joined by a cow horn spike, maybe 10” long. A minute later his twin brother enters and the two cow horns start sparring, clattering little horns and playful pushing and shoving. Little guy joins in and spars with each of the bigger boys. Each seemingly being careful not to hurt each other. Soon a 4th buck enters a young little basket rack 8 ptr. He joins in and now I have a 4 deer mock fight going. Each deer has a short go with the other 3. This lasts couple of minutes and then they settle to serious eating. 30 yards in front, ring side seat!

Nature at its finest!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
What a fantastic hunt! Thanks for the ride! I have a bedding area behind my house and get to watch deer a lot. I’m finally seeing bucks too! My backyard deer get a pass, but if I go down the ditch to the lake, I’m on corp property and then it’s a different ballgame!

Latest posts