Berry college WMA hunt

Jmazzare35

I’m drew a deer wma hunt this year at Berry WMA in Rome. I haven’t hunted or even visited this area before. The property is a good drive from home so scouting isn’t really plausible. I’ve made some notes on OnX maps and look at some too information for the area but the property is quite large (1400 acres) and I don’t really know where to start. I’m looking for any information that can guide me in planning this hunt to be successful. I have 2 days to hunt for every hour of shooting light counts. Thanks

There is a public trash transfer station at the end of technology parkway. The area around it looks interesting. Also, the hill country on the back side of the public fishing area might be good. And lastly, the first gate on the right coming off Hwy 27 on Big Texas, across the power lines (In the hills) might still be good. It’s gon’a take some leg work to find the best place. I lease a couple acres just down the road from the college. A lot of people like it around the perimeter of the college campus, but that might look like a pumpkin patch come sun-up opening day.

basshappy

BANNED
If you choose not to scout then you are flying blind and have the odds stacked against you. As you know. Additionally some portion of your competition (others in that hunt) likely will have scouted, so again, odds stacked not in your favor. If you acknowledge those odds and still choose to participate then utilize your first hand experience coupled with topography and terrain maps you can study before the hunt in an attempt to best position yourself during the dates of the hunt. Depending on the dates, air temperature, wind, and rain, you may focus on sources of food, bedding, or rut activity. You're putting yourself in a challenging position, but I like challenges. Could be a lot of fun. Good luck!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Do a search (berry college) down in the public hunting sub forum and you may come up with some good info .
Also I seen a guy on YouTube a few years ago hunting a quota there , he was climbed up in a several hundred acre clear cut and had action the whole time , good luck !

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
If you are mobile like with a climber or a saddle, I’d find 4 or 5 places via my HuntStand (whichever) app and start from there. Find the hardwood bottoms close to bedding areas. If you do no pre-hunt scouting then the 1st morning go in slow after you can find a parking spot hopefully. Setup and hunt, maybe midday find a better spot and hunt.
Regardless, go have fun! Should be a bunch of deer from what I’ve heard so I’d bet you’ll see some. I’ve only been there one time and it was forever ago.

nix03

Went in blind about 3 years ago on a quota hunt, lots of people hunting on the power lines and around the school. Got away from the crowds Parked on side of the road and slipped in the woods until aboyt 10 the first morning and then stated walking. Found couple of spots saw 2 bucks and killed a decent one.
No desire at all to go back.

dsh20

Is there a pre-hunt meeting or sign in for this hunt?

I’ve done the State Park hunts but not a WMA hunt.

Thanks,