St Croix fly rod deal

Tom W.

I have a good rod. It's old but good. I've been wanting a reel with a larger arbor.......and one that feels like a spinning reel, with my left hand.

oldguy

I've only had one experience with a cheap fly rod. Once is enough! Bought a Wal-Mart special, don't remember the brand, as a starter rod for a nephew. Casts like a telephone pole - nothing but frustration for a beginner. Do yourself a favor and start with a quality rod. Makes learning easier, faster, more pleasurable. And it will last for years. You don't have to spend hundreds. An Orvis Clearwater is a good place to start. Plus they've upgraded the cosmetics, if such things matter to you, AND they now have 25 year guarantee. Bet you don't get that with a $99 special! Just my $ .02 worth

JonathanG2013

What Oldguy stated, you do not have to break the bank. I bought a TFO 9ft 6weight with large arbor reel with fly backing and line at bass pro for $150.00. TFO also has a life time warranty. I have broken the rod twice my error. I just sent them a check for $20.00 and they sent me a brand new rod no questions asked.

lampern

St Croix is a well known rod company

They claim these combos are 75 dollars off

I have a Bass Pro fly rod and it works for me

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've only had one experience with a cheap fly rod. Once is enough! Bought a Wal-Mart special, don't remember the brand, as a starter rod for a nephew. Casts like a telephone pole - nothing but frustration for a beginner. Do yourself a favor and start with a quality rod. Makes learning easier, faster, more pleasurable. And it will last for years. You don't have to spend hundreds. An Orvis Clearwater is a good place to start. Plus they've upgraded the cosmetics, if such things matter to you, AND they now have 25 year guarantee. Bet you don't get that with a $99 special! Just my $ .02 worth
You can't compare a St. Croix rod to a Walmart special. St. Croix is a well-established company with a long standing reputation that makes some of the best fly rods on the market.

oldguy

You can't compare a St. Croix rod to a Walmart special. St. Croix is a well-established company with a long standing reputation that makes some of the best fly rods on the market.
I know 'em well. Just got jumpy 'bout under priced fly rods. Never had a $99 St. Croix, but have had the Orvis Clearwaters and like 'em.
Was in a high end sporting goods store in Tallahassee, FL years ago. Heard a crash & clatter and turned around in time to see an assistant picking up the fly rods he'd just knocked over. Heard him tell a co-worker "They're just Clearwaters." Yeah, they weren't $600 -$900 rods - just Clearwaters.
Wife bought me Clearwater travel rod years ago, broke down to 6 pieces, nothing special as far as rods go, but that baby could fling a fly! Broke the tip. Rod discontinued , and at the time not covered by Orvis' warranty. Made me sad. Got a new one for Christmas (GOOD Wife) 25 year warranty (I'll be 95 then:)) - waiting on Springtime/summer to give it a workout!!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I know 'em well. Just got jumpy 'bout under priced fly rods. Never had a $99 St. Croix, but have had the Orvis Clearwaters and like 'em.
Was in a high end sporting goods store in Tallahassee, FL years ago. Heard a crash & clatter and turned around in time to see an assistant picking up the fly rods he'd just knocked over. Heard him tell a co-worker "They're just Clearwaters." Yeah, they weren't $600 -$900 rods - just Clearwaters.
Wife bought me Clearwater travel rod years ago, broke down to 6 pieces, nothing special as far as rods go, but that baby could fling a fly! Broke the tip. Rod discontinued , and at the time not covered by Orvis' warranty. Made me sad. Got a new one for Christmas (GOOD Wife) 25 year warranty (I'll be 95 then:)) - waiting on Springtime/summer to give it a workout!!!
You don't have to spend a fortune to get an excellent flyrod. My three main workhorses are a Redington 8' 3 wt. that I paid $99 for about 25 years ago, a Wetfly Element SE 10' 3 wt. that I bought new off EBay for about $75, and a TFO 9' 7 wt. that I bought used for $50. All three are great rods, and I've caught untold thousands of fish with them. With Orvis, Sage, and such, you're paying for the name, not the rod. I've fished those, too. There just isn't that much difference.

I will agree to not buy a fly rod at Walmart.

TurkeyH90

I have thousands of dollars in fly rods and one of my all time favorites was an entry level St. Croix 5 weight. Caught a 3.5 lb Shoal Bass on it once. Was my go to popping bug rod for years and I also used it on the Altamaha to roll cast crickets under a small cork. And I also caught some trout with it. Fell out of my boat on the Altamaha.

oldguy

You don't have to spend a fortune to get an excellent flyrod. My three main workhorses are a Redington 8' 3 wt. that I paid $99 for about 25 years ago, a Wetfly Element SE 10' 3 wt. that I bought new off EBay for about $75, and a TFO 9' 7 wt. that I bought used for $50. All three are great rods, and I've caught untold thousands of fish with them. With Orvis, Sage, and such, you're paying for the name, not the rod. I've fished those, too. There just isn't that much difference.

I will agree to not buy a fly rod at Walmart.
I totally agree. It all comes down to if a rod makes you happy, then that's the best rod for you. My fishing partner (we're warm water guys down here in SOWEGA) had a nephew who worked at a fly shop. Got him a St. Croix rod. We joked about him being upity when he broke it out. I have a TFO 8wt. myself for shoal bass. Happy fishing!

Tom W.

My wife picked up a flea for while I was in the Orvis store in Sevierville TN. Such a beautiful rod. We both almost had to get some diapers when we saw the price sticker. She also put it down rather quickly.
There is an Orvis store in Columbus, maybe two miles from the house. I may go and peruse the reels.....