Stair lift for seniors

tcward

Thinking I may have to get something like a stair lift for my parents as they now have difficulty climbing the steps going up to the bedroom section of their split level house and it’s only going to get worse. Anybody installed these are have any recommendations?

DannyW

My wife and SIL were looking into buying one for my MIL a few years ago. New ones were terribly expensive and they found that there is a pretty good used market for them. As I recall decent condition used ones sold for about 20 cents on the dollar.

My MIL passed before they could buy one so I can't offer any advice on installation.

BTW...my MIL's house was a split level too. You had to come down 5-6 steps from the bedroom level to the main level, make a 180 degree turn, then down another 5-6 steps to the den level.

MudDucker

Staff member
No personal experience, but the small home elevators I see advertised may be an alternative to stair lifts.

I put one in the last house I build for my MIL. It was expensive 40 years ago and then the maintenance and repair wasn't all that cheap either.

bany

The gals I know that bought them loved them. If you can find used you should be okay.

DAWG1419

I don’t think you can just buy any used ones. I Heard they were made specifically for a set of stairs/measurements. Check into it before you purchase