Submersible well pump issue

Shadow11

Sorry for the long post. I'm stuck in a rut on this one. It's probably gonna end up being something simple that I've overlooked...

I have a well that is around 300' or so. It uses a 4" submersible pump(220v). The old one was about 15 yrs old. About a month ago, I lost water completely. I pulled up the pump and found a broke wire at the pump. I patched all of that up and tested it. It ran when I tripped the breaker on so I lowered it back down.

The tank would fill up, but kind of slowly. When all the water was used up in the tank, and the pressure switch clicked on, it would take about 3 minutes to start getting water again. I would get about 3 gallons and repeat. I'd have to wait another 3 minutes to get water.

I replaced the pressure switch and gage, adjusted my air pressure in the tank to the correct pressure, and even switched out my electrical breaker, but same thing.

I was thinking bad pump. Either the check valve was bad in the pump, motor, or maybe the impeller was worn out. So, yesterday I pulled it up and installed a brand new pump.

I made sure all of my wiring connections were good. I even installed an additional check valve a few feet above the pump to avoid back flow. I tested it briefly and it seemed good. I lowered it back down but it's doing the same thing. It'll fill the tank up, but when it runs out of water it takes about 3 minutes for the tank to start filling up again.

For the last 15 years, I could always hear the old pump cut on, because the pipe that runs along the basement ceiling to the pump would slap the floor. I don't get that anymore either. I currently have the new pressure switch cutting of at about 55lbs and it cuts on about 25lbs. If I have a spigot on, when it gets to about 20 lbs, the water immediately drains out. Then, like I said it takes about 3 minutes for it start filling with water again.

I wanna say I'm not getting enough electricity, but not sure. Maybe a partially broken wire under ground?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Screenshot_2023-07-03-12-37-50.pngScreenshot_2023-07-03-12-36-15.png

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
water logged tank more than likely. Those bladder tank will rupture, and then you have no cushion to push the water out. The pump short cycles and drains out the tank before the pump can push more water up there.

push the air stem valve in. If you get any water out, the bladder is ruptured and you will need a new tank

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Agree with pappy…….it’s a tank / bladder issue.

Since you checked it I doubt this is the issue but it’s worth considering - I’ve seen two check valves fight one another.

K80Shooter

Also your cut in pressure is too low, it should be about 20psi below the cut out pressure. I run mine at 40/60 but a lot of them are preset at 30/50

Also what type switch do you have? If it is a low pressure cut out switch then at about 25 is where they will not cut back in. I can't zoom in enough on the switch to tell myself. Does it have a lever on the right side that you have to lift up on to start the pump?

Shadow11

Might want to check the black roll pipe if it has a hole in it you can have issues. It leaks back into the well as it pumps it up. All my well pumps are on PVC
I'm starting to think this as well. Maybe a crack in the pipe that I didn't notice. That's the only thing that's making good sense right now. The tank is good, and once water arrives to it, it is filling up quickly now, and it will hold pressure until i use all the water up. Then, it takes about 3 minutes to get water entering again.

Shadow11

Also your cut in pressure is too low, it should be about 20psi below the cut out pressure. I run mine at 40/60 but a lot of them are preset at 30/50

Also what type switch do you have? If it is a low pressure cut out switch then at about 25 is where they will not cut back in. I can't zoom in enough on the switch to tell myself. Does it have a lever on the right side that you have to lift up on to start the pump?
Yesterday I raised the pressure on the switch. I also let some air out of the tank. It's doing a lot better now. It's cutting off at about 60 and cutting on at around 30. It's a 50/30 switch. This one does not have the lever on the side, but the old one did.

After making these adjustments, the tank is filling completely now, and I can just about fill the bathtub up before it cuts off...then it's back to waiting anout 3 or 4 minutes for the pump to deliver water back to the tank.