Sumter County 2010

Killer

Thought i would start a thread for the new year. I have been down to the land and noticed alot of activity in the fields. I have cut in the new plots and now am waiting until planting time.

The fields on my property are planted in peanuts, corn, soybeans and cotton. Looks to be another promising year.

Tikki

Looked over the lease - Peanuts and saw quite a few deer!! Getting ready for the season, bush hogging and hanging stands.

Jayin J

I have been getting some good pictures of Doe's and Bucks. On 9/11 I hope to harvest one of them. Finally getting some spotted rains again and we needed it bad, may have to replant the food plots due to the sudden heat and drought. Good Luck on the 11th. :cheers:

Jayin J

Saturday Morning, Nothing!, Sunday Morning, Nothing!, at least the huntin so far is consistent.

GAdreamin

Hello Sumter County/weekend warrior brethren!!!!

I've been following a few of these threads for some time now... not once have I taken the initiative to start one for Sumter! I hunt Sumter county. On about 6000 acres that hugs the flint just outside Andersonville Memorial... Got my string and sticks all tuned... anyone do any good yet?

Jayin J

Not yet, seems as if opening weekend was slow with me and everyone else I talked to.

GAdreamin

My step mother penciled a doe yesterday. 110lbs, made a poor shot and had to wait for the thing to expire... darn thing ran to water and died knee deep in a beaver pond...
Did some dove hunting two weeks ago. (weekend of the 4th) All resident birds... but it was nice to shoot a bit between all the cutting and stand work. Those things taste great wrapped in bacon.... ;)
I'm headed up for the 13th time this year... The trip from Orlando is going to feel like eternity... I've got a trail cam sending me pictures on my phone of a buck that, as of this morning 7:50am, is STILL IN VELVET and feeds a wopping 27 yds from one of my clamp-ons. He's probably in the 120's, 17-18inch spread. Symetrical. If I am lucky enough to see him in velvet with a bow... Hes done. Probably let him live another year if he makes it to guns season... I've lost too much sleep over this guy... ;)
I've been getting reports of feeding action on the persimmons, crab apples, and wild pears (generally, all the fleshy food sources). Might be something to keep in mind as the weather, bugs, and lack of deer movement continue to prove as punishment for your time spent in the woods this early in the season.
I hope you've found a shady tree to hang a stand boys...Weather man says its going to be a scorcher...

Jayin J

Going this afternoon to a spot I looked at last year and had several young doe's walk through. Hopefully they are still around and have grown up and will come out this afternoon.

bird_dawg

Good luck Jayin J, nice lookin pup by the way ;)

GAdreamin

Good luck J!
Step Mother got another doe today! 117/lbs... she called me this morning to share the news that I would probably be spending more time cleaning than hunting this weekend... The woes of a step-son...

Jayin J

Went Saturday morning and had a nice doe at 26 yards just pacing back and forth and just about the time I was ready to release, her fawn walked out under me and it still had spots. I could not make myself pull my release, so I just watched as they milled around at 26 yards in front of me for 30+ minutes. I had more satisfaction knowing that I passed her up to raise that fawn and was glad I got to watch as they never knew I was there.

Jayin J

I did not go hunting yesterday. Took the afternoon off to fletch some arrows, but I did do some stump shootin' with the Bear recurve.

jjj333

The Rain is coming !! It will be welcome way up here in North Ga. Mtn. We are very dry also and need WATER !!

Jayin J

I hear ya loud and clear jjj, it is so dry and hot here that I saw a fox chasin a rabbit and they were both walkin.......