Suppressor Question

SWAMPFOX

How much effect does a suppessor have on accuracy and velocity at 200-300 yards?

I'm considering getting one for my Savage 110 in .30-06. I shoot a handload of 54 grains of IMR4064 behind a 165 gr. Sierra boat tail spire point. It chronographs at a muzzle velocity of 2779.

Thanks.

bullgator

Lots of variables. On a sporter weight barrel your point of impact might change, requiring a scope adjustment. Your accuracy it only going to be determined by trying it. Some rifles will even see an improvement. Same with velocity, most rifles actually gain a few fps. A quality can will put odds in your favor.

Stevie Ray

On my cans with my rifles I've seen slight POI changes and very slight velocity gains with a little reduced recoil but certainly nothing detrimental. Accuracy may improve because of less felt recoil and less noise so therefore you may not flinch as much ... I believe that happens with me anyway.

But yea, as Bullgater says, a quality suppressor will definitely put the odds in your favor.

Last edited:

Lilly001

I’ve got the Silencerco Hybrid.
It’s versatile, but a bit heavy.
In my limited test on a Savage .308 it did improve my accuracy @ 100 yards.
It does add about 10” to the barrel length.

FlipKing

I'm currently on day 230 in my wait. Don't believe any short time they tell you. Lol I was told 100 days.

Couple things to look at is attachment type, size, weight, versatility. I ordered thru Silencercentral and got the Banish .30. Direct thread and can run it at 7 and 9". They also just released a back country version at 5.5". Haven't got it or shot it yet so can't give that feed back. But most people see increased accuracy and your velocity will increase slightly.

ChidJ

A good can shouldn't effect your accuracy negatively. It will likely change point of impact slightly. I see very small increases in MV but the increase is negligible as far as my data adjustments are concerned (think 10fps).

Even if it did negatively effect MV or accuracy, I'd still use one, its just that much better. Do yourself a favor and start your wait ASAP.

For bolt actions, I think Georgia's very own KGM suppressors are hard to beat. Super light, come in all the sizes, they do the job

bullgator

One more thought. In a 30-06 the sound will be reduced, but it will not be suppressed to hearing safe levels. Hearing protection is still recommended.