Surprise At The Rifle Range

chuckdog

Thursday afternoon I took a friend to Little River range to check zero on his hunting rifle. Since we were going I quickly assembled 3 rounds of 6.5 CM using 100gr Barnes TTSX # 30240 bullets atop 46.0 grains of IMR 4350 @2.700" OAL.

The Ruger is zero'd 2" high @ 100yds with 129gr Hornady Interlock #2620 atop 42.4gr IMR 4350 2.695" OAL.

I went expecting the lighter faster Barnes to have a significantly lower POI than the 129's. Well, I was wrong.

The Barnes 100's came in with a .60" 3 shot group exactly 1" high @ 100. No change in windage.

This is a welcomed surprise and a chronograph may explain it away? Using different bullet shapes and weights will usually cause a fairly noticeable and many times predictable change in POI, this is a new experience for me. I am new to Barnes bullets.

Bonus, the felt recoil is so low most anyone could comfortably fire the rifle all day. (As long as someone else is footing the bill.)

SakoL61R

That's a darn good surprise a couple days before the season starts!
I luck out and run into those every once in awhile also.

tcward

I’ve got a Savage 30-06 that shoots very close with either 150-180 gr bullets at 100

BriarPatch99

The low recoil of the light weight Barnes is a really nice advantage.... along with the killing power compared to heavier lead core.

Recoil is about like a .243 Win ... unless you are shooting 80 grain TTSX in the .243 .... that puts recoil on down more.